Marquette rallied for four runs in the seventh inning Tuesday night at Breitlow Field to beat Wauwatosa East, 7-5, and prevent a huge upset.
Trailing 5-3, the Hilltoppers opened the seventh with a bloop single to center by Dan Flatley and then Adam Vanucci followed with a seeing-eye single to center field.
East coach Matt Dahlstrom then pulled starter Tracy Johnson and brought in Ben Carpenter. Carpenter then walked Nolan Peterson to load the bases and struck out Brandon Johnson, but then walked Nathan Siudak to bring in a run and cut the score to 5-4.
Carpenter then threw a wild pitch scoring Vanucci and tying the game at 5-5. Marquette the scored the winning runs on a fielder's choice which scored Peterson and Siudak scored on Willie Bolles' grounder.
The Hilltoppers led 3-0 when the Red Raiders exploded for five runs off Joe Bartoletti in the fourth.
Riley Roe walked with one out, Steffen Uhrich singled off the first base bag, putting runners on first and third. Uhrich then stole second and Jake Lake walked. After Johnson struck out, Will Westley hit a grounder to short which was bobbled allowing both Poe and Uhrich to score with heads-up baserunning.
Bobby Russ then dropped a double down the left field line to score Lake with the tying run and Colin Trautschold ripped a 2-run single to center to take a 5-3 lead.
MUHS is now 9-5 and East is 3-10 in Greater Metro action.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa wrestlers had an outstanding season
- Coach pleased with first two outings of Wauwatosa East boys track and field team
- Father follows son down the road to Brown Deer hoops success
- Meredith Starnes, Natalie Yahn to lead Wauwatosa East softball team
- Dale excited about Wauwatosa East girls soccer team
- Wauwatosa West girls soccer fundraiser set for March 27
- Wauwatosa West boys 7th at Wisconsin Lutheran Invite
- Wauwatosa West girls finish 7th at Outfitters Invite
- Wauwatosa East girls post three top-10 finishes at Nelson Daniel invite
- Wauwatosa West boasts young but experienced kickers