Marquette rallied for four runs in the seventh inning Tuesday night at Breitlow Field to beat Wauwatosa East, 7-5, and prevent a huge upset.
Trailing 5-3, the Hilltoppers opened the seventh with a bloop single to center by Dan Flatley and then Adam Vanucci followed with a seeing-eye single to center field.
East coach Matt Dahlstrom then pulled starter Tracy Johnson and brought in Ben Carpenter. Carpenter then walked Nolan Peterson to load the bases and struck out Brandon Johnson, but then walked Nathan Siudak to bring in a run and cut the score to 5-4.
Carpenter then threw a wild pitch scoring Vanucci and tying the game at 5-5. Marquette the scored the winning runs on a fielder's choice which scored Peterson and Siudak scored on Willie Bolles' grounder.
The Hilltoppers led 3-0 when the Red Raiders exploded for five runs off Joe Bartoletti in the fourth.
Riley Roe walked with one out, Steffen Uhrich singled off the first base bag, putting runners on first and third. Uhrich then stole second and Jake Lake walked. After Johnson struck out, Will Westley hit a grounder to short which was bobbled allowing both Poe and Uhrich to score with heads-up baserunning.
Bobby Russ then dropped a double down the left field line to score Lake with the tying run and Colin Trautschold ripped a 2-run single to center to take a 5-3 lead.
MUHS is now 9-5 and East is 3-10 in Greater Metro action.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa East girls basketball team uses big second half to beat Wisconsin Lutheran
- Plenty of positives in Wauwatosa West girls' basketball loss to Kettle Moraine
- Wauwatosa East boys basketball team could battle for GMC title
- Wauwatosa West swimming team has bright future with talented underclassmen on the rise
- MacGillis, Barkow share Wauwatosa West boys volleyball MVP honors
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team looks for improvement
- Sports Notes: Nov. 26, 2015
- Wauwatosa Hurricanes return three state qualifiers — Danny Larson, Cal Hartt, Avery Weishoff
- Wauwatosa East girls basketball team has plenty of experience returning
- Wauwatosa East's Potter earns two team cross-country awards