Marquette rallied for four runs in the seventh inning Tuesday night at Breitlow Field to beat Wauwatosa East, 7-5, and prevent a huge upset.
Trailing 5-3, the Hilltoppers opened the seventh with a bloop single to center by Dan Flatley and then Adam Vanucci followed with a seeing-eye single to center field.
East coach Matt Dahlstrom then pulled starter Tracy Johnson and brought in Ben Carpenter. Carpenter then walked Nolan Peterson to load the bases and struck out Brandon Johnson, but then walked Nathan Siudak to bring in a run and cut the score to 5-4.
Carpenter then threw a wild pitch scoring Vanucci and tying the game at 5-5. Marquette the scored the winning runs on a fielder's choice which scored Peterson and Siudak scored on Willie Bolles' grounder.
The Hilltoppers led 3-0 when the Red Raiders exploded for five runs off Joe Bartoletti in the fourth.
Riley Roe walked with one out, Steffen Uhrich singled off the first base bag, putting runners on first and third. Uhrich then stole second and Jake Lake walked. After Johnson struck out, Will Westley hit a grounder to short which was bobbled allowing both Poe and Uhrich to score with heads-up baserunning.
Bobby Russ then dropped a double down the left field line to score Lake with the tying run and Colin Trautschold ripped a 2-run single to center to take a 5-3 lead.
MUHS is now 9-5 and East is 3-10 in Greater Metro action.
- Wauwatosa Sports Notes: Players sign with colleges, baseball fundraiser, more
- Girls Track and Field: Wauwatosa West sprinters stand out at Kansas Relays
- Boys Track and field: Wauwatosa West' Hannah-Howell, Jefferson shine at Sun Prairie Track Meet
- Boys Tennis: Wauwatosa West tennis team wins three of four at Raider/Trojan Invite
- Boys Golf: Wauwatosa golfers finish fifth at first GMC mini meet
- Girls Soccer: Wauwatosa East kickers go 2-1 at Mt. Prospect Invitational, lose to DSHA, beat Homestead
- Girls soccer: Wauwatosa West soccer team tied for first in Woodland with 4-0 record
- Football: Matt Kender is Wauwatosa East's new football coach
- Sports Shorts: April 21, 2016
- Girls track and field: Wauwatosa East girls track team has two productive meets