Senior Kyle Heideman's RBI-single in the fourth broke up a scoreless tie and gave Wauwatosa West a 1-0 victory over Wauwatosa East this afternoon before a packed house at Breitlow Field.
Tosa East senior Will Westley and Tosa West senior Paul Gerhartz hooked up in an old-fashioned pitchers duel, as the game was scoreless through the first three innings.
Jacob Boudreaux then singled to center to lead-off the bottom of the fourth for the Trojans. Gerhartz then singled to rightfield, moving Boudreaux to second and they both moved up a base when Tyler Gross grounded out to second.
Heideman then came up and ripped a single to center to score Boudreaux with the game's only run and move Gerhartz to third.
Westley then walked Travis Hudson to load the bases, but East shortstop Ben Carpenter nabbed Josh Kundinger's grounder up the middle, stepped on second and threw to first for a double play to get out of the inning.
Gerhartz, who worked 6 innings, allowing 3 hits and fanning 6, was replaced in the ninth by Gross, who gave up a lead-off single to Westley.
After a bunt attempt was popped up and caught by Gross, he retired the next hitter on a foul flyout to rightfield on a nice catch by Heideman, with with pinch-runner Josh Sementek moving to third.
Gross and Tracy Johnson then battled for several pitches, with Johnson hitting line drives foul down the leftfield line. Gross finally struck him out on an inside fastball to earn the save and the win for West.
Westley deserved a better fate, as the senior righthander pitched a 5-hitter, but three of those hits came in the crucial fourth inning.
There were several web gem plays by both teams as the story was defense and pitching before a packed house.
West improved to 7-7 and East fell to 4-10.
There was a pre-game ceremony to honor some of the main forces behind the building of the dugouts on Breitlow Field and West student Mary Kayser sang a beautiful version of the National Anthem.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Verser's 3-point play with 6.7 seconds left lifts Red Raiders
- Wauwatosa's Folley, Reagan earn Stech titles
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball team holds off Greendale for win
- Brown sets Wauwatosa West assists record
- Wauwatosa East girls basketball see record fall to .500 mark
- Coach Arndorfer happy with Wauwatosa East's start
- Central boys beat Red Raiders, 52-41
- Boys basketball: Tosa East makes most of final opportunity
- Bailey Berlin's free throw sparks win for Wauwatosa East girls basketball
- Wauwatosa East boys stay undefeated, down Falls