Wauwatosa East's Bryce Kratzer's 2-run walk-off double sparked the Red Raiders to any exciting 5-4 win over West Allis Hale tonight at Breitlow Field.
With Hale (4-6, 4-8) leading 4-3 going into the bottom of the seventh, Steffen Uhrich walked off reliever Tony Machowski to start the inning. Ben Carpenter then smashed a one-bouncer to Hale third baseman who threw to second to try and get Uhrich, but the ball got by the second baseman putting runners on first and second.
Kratzer then came in and slammed a long double off the wall in leftfield scoring both runners for the win.
Kratzer would have been the losing pitcher, as he allowed three earned runs in 3.1 innings, before running into a control problem in the fifth. With one out, he hit a batter and then walked two Huskies to load the bases.
Tracy Johnson then came in and allowed an RBI-single to DH Nick Sotiros, who had two doubles, an RBI and two runs scored earlier in the game to give Hale a 4-2 advantage.
But Johnson struck out the next two hitters, got out of trouble in the sixth and pitched a solid seventh inning to finish with 2.2 innings of shutout relief. He allowed two hits, two walks and fanned four.
Great defensive plays by Uhrich at second and Josh Smentek in rightfield prevented Hale from scoring in the sixth and put the game away.
Hale's starting pitcher Alex Elenteny pitched a solid game, allowing five hits, three walks and two hit batters while fanning seven Red Raiders.
The win improved East to 2-7 in league play and 4-7 overall.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa East hammers Homestead, 7-1
- Trojan kickers toss shutout in opener
- Wauwatosa West wins four of five at Tosa Invite
- Wauwatosa West, East place sixth, seventh in Early Bird invite
- Ironman Wisconsin set for Sept. 7 in Madison
- Football: Trojans rule the city another year
- The social media story of Wauwatosa West at Wauwatosa East football
- Poll: Who will win the Battle of Wauwatosa: West or East?
- Tosa East football team trying to overcome injuries