Wauwatosa East's Bryce Kratzer's 2-run walk-off double sparked the Red Raiders to any exciting 5-4 win over West Allis Hale tonight at Breitlow Field.
With Hale (4-6, 4-8) leading 4-3 going into the bottom of the seventh, Steffen Uhrich walked off reliever Tony Machowski to start the inning. Ben Carpenter then smashed a one-bouncer to Hale third baseman who threw to second to try and get Uhrich, but the ball got by the second baseman putting runners on first and second.
Kratzer then came in and slammed a long double off the wall in leftfield scoring both runners for the win.
Kratzer would have been the losing pitcher, as he allowed three earned runs in 3.1 innings, before running into a control problem in the fifth. With one out, he hit a batter and then walked two Huskies to load the bases.
Tracy Johnson then came in and allowed an RBI-single to DH Nick Sotiros, who had two doubles, an RBI and two runs scored earlier in the game to give Hale a 4-2 advantage.
But Johnson struck out the next two hitters, got out of trouble in the sixth and pitched a solid seventh inning to finish with 2.2 innings of shutout relief. He allowed two hits, two walks and fanned four.
Great defensive plays by Uhrich at second and Josh Smentek in rightfield prevented Hale from scoring in the sixth and put the game away.
Hale's starting pitcher Alex Elenteny pitched a solid game, allowing five hits, three walks and two hit batters while fanning seven Red Raiders.
The win improved East to 2-7 in league play and 4-7 overall.
- Wauwatosa Sports Notes: Players sign with colleges, baseball fundraiser, more
- Girls Track and Field: Wauwatosa West sprinters stand out at Kansas Relays
- Boys Track and field: Wauwatosa West' Hannah-Howell, Jefferson shine at Sun Prairie Track Meet
- Boys Tennis: Wauwatosa West tennis team wins three of four at Raider/Trojan Invite
- Boys Golf: Wauwatosa golfers finish fifth at first GMC mini meet
- Girls Soccer: Wauwatosa East kickers go 2-1 at Mt. Prospect Invitational, lose to DSHA, beat Homestead
- Girls soccer: Wauwatosa West soccer team tied for first in Woodland with 4-0 record
- Football: Matt Kender is Wauwatosa East's new football coach
- Sports Shorts: April 21, 2016
- Girls track and field: Wauwatosa East girls track team has two productive meets