Wauwatosa East finished the regular season in fourth place (4-3) with a 10-3 overall record. Menomonee Falls finished in fifth place with a 3-4 record, 12-6-1 overall.
Add to that, the Red Raiders blanked the Indians, 2-0, May 17 at Falls.
Yet the Red Raiders are seeded ninth and the Indians are seeded eighth and have to travel to Falls tonight at 7 p.m. to open post-season play.
The Red Raiders had an impressive nine-match winning streak stopped in their GMC finale, losing to Sussex Hamilton (4-2-1, 14-3-1), 3-2, in overtime May 24 at Whitman Field.
Tosa East had a quick start, jumping off to a 2-0 lead in the first 22 minutes, only to see the Chargers cut the lead to 2-1 at halftime and score a second-half goal to send the game into overtime and earn the comeback victory.
Junior Amanda Babler scored with an assist by McKenna Kowalski 2 minutes, 32 seconds into the match.
Then the Walls sisters combined on a score at 21:43, with Cara scoring on a pass from Alayah.
But the Red Raiders offense was shut down the rest of the way, as the Chargers defense slammed the door.
Kara Bednarek scored (Jen Jobke assist) at 24:05 and then Kirsten Anderson scored (Kaitlin Traverse assist) at 74:13.
The Chargers quickly put the Red Raiders out of their misery as Brooke Menzia scored (Jobke assist) 3:09 seconds into the extra period.
Their non-conference finale against New Berlin Eisenhower on May 25 was rained out.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa East hammers Homestead, 7-1
- Trojan kickers toss shutout in opener
- Wauwatosa West wins four of five at Tosa Invite
- Wauwatosa West, East place sixth, seventh in Early Bird invite
- Ironman Wisconsin set for Sept. 7 in Madison
- Football: Trojans rule the city another year
- The social media story of Wauwatosa West at Wauwatosa East football
- Poll: Who will win the Battle of Wauwatosa: West or East?
- Tosa East football team trying to overcome injuries