Wauwatosa West boys basketball coach Mike Landisch was officially told Wednesday by the administration that he will not have his contract renewed to coach next season.
Landisch, who is recovering from a well-publicized battle with cancer, is coming off of one of the best seasons in the school's recent history.
The Trojans finished with an 11-6 Woodland Conference record and a 15-11 overall mark and they won their first regional championship since 1996.
The Trojans struggled in Landisch's first year, finishing 5-16 overall and 4-12 in league play. But in his last three three seasons as head coach, Tosa West compiled a .667 winning percentage (33-17) in conference play and a .583 winning percentage (42-30) overall.
At the end of March, Landisch was initially given an option to resign, take a leave of absence or not have his contract renewed.
According to Landisch, he was told by the administration that the players weren't getting a positive experience. He was told his health had changed his demeanor.
On Wednesday the administration gave him the option of taking a leave of absence for a year and having one of his assistants coach the team. If the assistants wanted to, they could keep Landisch on as an assistant coach, and he could then apply for the head coaching job next year.
"To me that is not considered a leave of absence," Landisch said. "So I told them that I do not feel as though I should have to resign or take a leave based off my health and performance, so they are not renewing my contract next year."
Tosa Alderman donates monthly salary to Landisch fund (Feb. 5, 2010)
Returning Landisch leads Wauwatosa West past South Milwaukee (March 2, 2010)
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Central boys beat Red Raiders, 52-41
- Boys basketball: Tosa East makes most of final opportunity
- Bailey Berlin's free throw sparks win for Wauwatosa East girls basketball
- Wauwatosa East boys stay undefeated, down Falls
- Wrestlers blank co-op trio, 79-0
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team beats Packers for first win
- Trojan girls basketball team beats Brown Deer, loses to Cudahy
- Wauwatosa wins two events, takes seven seconds, three thirds
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball wins Woodland opener
- Wauwatosa East girls bounce back to beat Eagles, 70-27