Three area middle school athletes won titles in the Milwaukee Area Conference Championships on Saturday.
Longfellow wrestlers, Jordan Boettcher and Zach Miller, along with Whitman's Marcus Morrow won Milwaukee Area Conference Championships.
Boettcher won his championship with a 7-6 decision in the finals over Jon Baltz of Frank Lloyd Wright Middle School at 96 pounds. Miller won his championship at 103 pounds with a 10-0 major decision in the finals over Miguel Gomez of Whitefish Bay Middle School. Morrow's championship happened at 138 pounds with a 13-6 decision in the finals over Ryan Ulbrich of Lincoln Middle School.
A runner-up finish was earned by Longfellow's Zach Hoffland while Longfellow's Ben Reagan earned a third-place finish. Also placing for Whitman was: Josh Zembles-5th, Henry Morgan-5th, Brad Koehler-5th, and Sean McDuffie-6th. Other competitors who didn't place were: Avery Weishoff and Jake Zellmer of Longfellow and Kyle Hemming of Whitman.
Junior varsity wrestlers from the schools also turned in a good performance.
Longfellow place winners were: David Lers (first), Dylan Christman (second), Tristan Reagan (second), Andrew Suson (second), Matt Suson (third), Rylan McNally (third) and Rosie Young (fourth).
Whitman place winners were: Zach Linden (first), Dajhan Mitchell (first), Nathan Linden (second), Trevor Semega (second), Joey Blanco (third), Jeffrey Little (third), Jake Plantz (third), Marcus Smukowski (third), Hank Bauer (fourth), Zewdei Gebremedhim (fourth) and Colin Sieglaff (fourth).
The Longfellow team is coached by former Tosa East wrestlers DJ Wurster and Justin Kachar. Whitman is coached by former Tosa West wrestlers Mason Jarecki-Nimmo, Sean Klauck, and Kelly Movroydis.
-Tom 'Sky' Skibosh
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- For Wauwatosa Hurricanes' Danny Larson, it's all about the team
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team bounces back to beat New Berlin West
- Folley, Miller bring home gold at Woodland Meet as Tosa finishes third
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball team drops five in a row
- Wauwatosa East girls basketball team defeats Menomonee Falls to snap 3-game losing streak
- Big Cheese Classic National Wheelchair Basketball tourney set for Feb. 20-21
- Wauwatosa's Larson wins two swimming championship
- Wauwatosa East boys basketball team drops third straight game
- Five Wauwatosa East student-athletes to play at collegiate level
- Wauwatosa's Beekman to play football at Southern A&M