Wauwatosa West edged Milwaukee Custer, 30-27, Saturday night at Brookfield Central and won its first regional title since 2000.
The Trojans (8-16) play Whitefish Bay (19-5) at Waukesha South at 7 p.m. on Thursday.
Trailing 24-23 with 6:58 left ot play, the Trojans went on a 7-3 run to win the game down the stretch.
Lauren Jaworowicz stole the ball and scored to give West the lead for good at 6:30, then Latasha Harmon sank two free throws and Paige Soles hit a running jumper to make it 29-24.
Custer's Birana McGinty then hit a free throw and a jumper to make it 29-27 and West missed 3-of-4 free throws, but hung on for the win.
Harmon and Jaworowicz had six points each and Elise Ditscheit had Soles had five each, while McGinty ledCuster with 14.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Trojans fall in regional title game to Whitefish Bay
- Larson named Hurricanes MVP
- Girls basketball: Whitefish Bay girls win regional title for injured Jonas, 31-27
- Girls basketball: Tosa East girls basketball team falls short against Wisconsin Lutheran
- Girls basketball: Wauwatosa West upsets Shorewood
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball whips Milwaukee Madison
- West advances with 75-4 win over James Madison
- Bad fourth quarter ends Wauwatosa West boys basketball team's season
- Jr. Raiders set registration dates
- Castaneda earns medal at state wrestling