Wauwatosa West edged Milwaukee Custer, 30-27, Saturday night at Brookfield Central and won its first regional title since 2000.
The Trojans (8-16) play Whitefish Bay (19-5) at Waukesha South at 7 p.m. on Thursday.
Trailing 24-23 with 6:58 left ot play, the Trojans went on a 7-3 run to win the game down the stretch.
Lauren Jaworowicz stole the ball and scored to give West the lead for good at 6:30, then Latasha Harmon sank two free throws and Paige Soles hit a running jumper to make it 29-24.
Custer's Birana McGinty then hit a free throw and a jumper to make it 29-27 and West missed 3-of-4 free throws, but hung on for the win.
Harmon and Jaworowicz had six points each and Elise Ditscheit had Soles had five each, while McGinty ledCuster with 14.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Shorts: April 17
- Tosa West kickers beat Falcons, Vikings
- Tosa West girls track and field team dominates in winning Woodland West Division Indoor Championship
- Couri Insurance wins City Basketball Title
- Tosa West girls soccer team goes 1-1-1 in first week of season
- Cavs, Dashers beat Tosa East
- Wauwatosa West boys track wins Case Classic Invitational
- Tosa East boys tennis team returns eight letterwinners
- East kickers blanked Pius, 2-0, for first win
- Ashley Lindstrom named Wauwatosa West girls basketball MVP