Wauwatosa West edged Milwaukee Custer, 30-27, Saturday night at Brookfield Central and won its first regional title since 2000.
The Trojans (8-16) play Whitefish Bay (19-5) at Waukesha South at 7 p.m. on Thursday.
Trailing 24-23 with 6:58 left ot play, the Trojans went on a 7-3 run to win the game down the stretch.
Lauren Jaworowicz stole the ball and scored to give West the lead for good at 6:30, then Latasha Harmon sank two free throws and Paige Soles hit a running jumper to make it 29-24.
Custer's Birana McGinty then hit a free throw and a jumper to make it 29-27 and West missed 3-of-4 free throws, but hung on for the win.
Harmon and Jaworowicz had six points each and Elise Ditscheit had Soles had five each, while McGinty ledCuster with 14.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West baseball coach sees improved pitching and defense ahead
- Wauwatosa East baseball swinging for consistency
- Wauwatosa West softball team edges Tosa East in thriller
- Wauwatosa East Sports Shorts: May 23
- SportsShorts: May 23
- Wauwatosa West girls track and field team wins West Allis Central Regional
- Wauwatosa East's Pridgeon wins both hurdle events at West Allis Central Regional
- Wauwatosa East girls track and field team send a dozen to sectional
- Wauwatosa West boys track and field team sends 15 to sectionals
- Red Raiders girls soccer had red-hot week