Wauwatosa West edged Milwaukee Custer, 30-27, Saturday night at Brookfield Central and won its first regional title since 2000.
The Trojans (8-16) play Whitefish Bay (19-5) at Waukesha South at 7 p.m. on Thursday.
Trailing 24-23 with 6:58 left ot play, the Trojans went on a 7-3 run to win the game down the stretch.
Lauren Jaworowicz stole the ball and scored to give West the lead for good at 6:30, then Latasha Harmon sank two free throws and Paige Soles hit a running jumper to make it 29-24.
Custer's Birana McGinty then hit a free throw and a jumper to make it 29-27 and West missed 3-of-4 free throws, but hung on for the win.
Harmon and Jaworowicz had six points each and Elise Ditscheit had Soles had five each, while McGinty ledCuster with 14.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: April 23, 2015
- Wauwatosa East girls softball team outslugs Bulldogs
- Younger Wauwatosa West soccer players impressing Bailey
- Wauwatosa East girls soccer team ties with Falls in GMC opener
- Price to lead Wauwatosa West boys tennis team
- Young Homestead boys tennis team still figuring things out
- Tight End Camp set for June 17-18
- Wauwatosa East boys basketball team surprised the critics
- Gardiner returns large, youthful girls track team for Wauwatosa East
- Sport Shorts: April 16, 2015