Wauwatosa West used a fourth-quarter 10-0 run to edge a scrappy Milwaukee Samuel Morse-Marshall/Juneau squad, 43-38, on Friday at Tosa West.
The third-seeded Trojans (7-16) advanced to Saturday’s WIAA Regional finals at Brookfield Central against Milwaukee Custer (13-10) of the Milwaukee City Conference at 7 p.m.
Top-seeded Custer advanced by beating Wauwatosa East, 54-46, on Friday at Custer.
Morse-Marshall went on a 9-0 run to end the third quarter and open the fourth to take a 36-32 lead when the Trojans took over with 5 minutes, 59 seconds left to play.
First Paige Soles flipped a beautiful lead pass to Jenna Engel, who scored on a fastbreak and then Soles found Engel open on the free throw line and Engel drilled a jumper.
Engel then turned passer and hit Jess Pike for a lay-up and Soles passed to Pike who hit a jumper. The run closed out with Soles passing to Latasha Harmon for an easy basket and Tosa West led, 42-36.
“We played better defense and offensively we started to attack the basket,” Tosa West coach Mike Pietrowiak said. “We had more than one person attack the basket and when they (Morse-Marshall/Juneau) came to help we had people left wide open.”
Nine players played for West as Harmon led the way with 11 while Engel and Elise Ditscheit each had eight.
Prevale McLin and Tyree Vinson led a short-handed Pioneer team which never quit.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: April 23, 2015
- Wauwatosa East girls softball team outslugs Bulldogs
- Younger Wauwatosa West soccer players impressing Bailey
- Wauwatosa East girls soccer team ties with Falls in GMC opener
- Price to lead Wauwatosa West boys tennis team
- Young Homestead boys tennis team still figuring things out
- Tight End Camp set for June 17-18
- Wauwatosa East boys basketball team surprised the critics
- Gardiner returns large, youthful girls track team for Wauwatosa East
- Sport Shorts: April 16, 2015