Wauwatosa West used a fourth-quarter 10-0 run to edge a scrappy Milwaukee Samuel Morse-Marshall/Juneau squad, 43-38, on Friday at Tosa West.
The third-seeded Trojans (7-16) advanced to Saturday’s WIAA Regional finals at Brookfield Central against Milwaukee Custer (13-10) of the Milwaukee City Conference at 7 p.m.
Top-seeded Custer advanced by beating Wauwatosa East, 54-46, on Friday at Custer.
Morse-Marshall went on a 9-0 run to end the third quarter and open the fourth to take a 36-32 lead when the Trojans took over with 5 minutes, 59 seconds left to play.
First Paige Soles flipped a beautiful lead pass to Jenna Engel, who scored on a fastbreak and then Soles found Engel open on the free throw line and Engel drilled a jumper.
Engel then turned passer and hit Jess Pike for a lay-up and Soles passed to Pike who hit a jumper. The run closed out with Soles passing to Latasha Harmon for an easy basket and Tosa West led, 42-36.
“We played better defense and offensively we started to attack the basket,” Tosa West coach Mike Pietrowiak said. “We had more than one person attack the basket and when they (Morse-Marshall/Juneau) came to help we had people left wide open.”
Nine players played for West as Harmon led the way with 11 while Engel and Elise Ditscheit each had eight.
Prevale McLin and Tyree Vinson led a short-handed Pioneer team which never quit.
- Girls Track and Field: Wauwatosa West girls win regional, sectional track championships
- Wauwatosa lacrosse team beats eighth-ranked Catholic Memorial
- Boys Track and Field: Wauwatosa West boys finish fourth at Woodland Relays
- Girls Soccer: Wauwatosa West girls soccer team wins Woodland Conference championship
- Girls Soccer: Wauwatosa East soccer team splits two games, loses Lily Brock to injury
- Girls Track and Field: Wauwatosa East girls finish seventh at GMC Outdoor Track and Field Meet
- Boys Track and Field: Wauwatosa East boys fourth at GMC Outdoor Track and Field Meet
- Wauwatosa Sports Notes: May 26, 2016
- Semipro football: Milwaukee County Chargers defeat Bulldogs in exhibition opener, 20-6
- Girls Track and Field: Wauwatosa West girls track team runs away with Woodland Outdoor title