Wauwatosa West used a fourth-quarter 10-0 run to edge a scrappy Milwaukee Samuel Morse-Marshall/Juneau squad, 43-38, on Friday at Tosa West.
The third-seeded Trojans (7-16) advanced to Saturday’s WIAA Regional finals at Brookfield Central against Milwaukee Custer (13-10) of the Milwaukee City Conference at 7 p.m.
Top-seeded Custer advanced by beating Wauwatosa East, 54-46, on Friday at Custer.
Morse-Marshall went on a 9-0 run to end the third quarter and open the fourth to take a 36-32 lead when the Trojans took over with 5 minutes, 59 seconds left to play.
First Paige Soles flipped a beautiful lead pass to Jenna Engel, who scored on a fastbreak and then Soles found Engel open on the free throw line and Engel drilled a jumper.
Engel then turned passer and hit Jess Pike for a lay-up and Soles passed to Pike who hit a jumper. The run closed out with Soles passing to Latasha Harmon for an easy basket and Tosa West led, 42-36.
“We played better defense and offensively we started to attack the basket,” Tosa West coach Mike Pietrowiak said. “We had more than one person attack the basket and when they (Morse-Marshall/Juneau) came to help we had people left wide open.”
Nine players played for West as Harmon led the way with 11 while Engel and Elise Ditscheit each had eight.
Prevale McLin and Tyree Vinson led a short-handed Pioneer team which never quit.
- Girls soccer: Wauwatosa East's Bueckers nabs all-state honors for girls soccer
- Wauwatosa Swordfish swim club results: June 30
- Seventh-inning rally sparks Wauwatosa East over West, 5-4
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East baseball team stays hot
- Baseball: Wauwatosa West baseball snaps skid with wins over Eisenhower
- Baseball: Offense holding back Wauwatosa West baseball team
- SPORTS NOTES JUNE 23
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East baseball wins four conference games
- Former Wauwatosa West star Austin Jones drafted by Chicago Cubs in 26th round
- Lacrosse: Wauwatosa lacrosse has successful season