Senior Carly Herald wasn’t ready to end her high school career Tuesday night and sparked her Wauwatosa East teammates to a thrilling, 42-41, victory over Milwaukee Lutheran in a WIAA Regional quarter-final.
Herald nailed two 3-pointers in the fourth quarter to spark an 11-0 run and then sank the winning free throws with 22.3 seconds left to play on her way to a game-high 15 points.
“She let the game come to her,” a happy East coach Rob Hamill said. “She also showed some emotions on the bench. She didn’t want her season to end.”
The Red Raiders blanked Lutheran, 12-0, in the first quarter, as seven players scored. But has been the case all season, one bad quarter has hurt them.
“That been our pattern all year,” Hamill said. “We’ve taken our lumps but these guys have never quit. These last few weeks we’ve made the post-season our focus.
“They’re playing hard and they’re keeping their heads up. They were resilient, they never gave up.”
- Wauwatosa lacrosse team beats eighth-ranked Catholic Memorial
- Boys Track and Field: Wauwatosa West boys finish fourth at Woodland Relays
- Girls Soccer: Wauwatosa West girls soccer team wins Woodland Conference championship
- Girls Soccer: Wauwatosa East soccer team splits two games, loses Lily Brock to injury
- Girls Track and Field: Wauwatosa East girls finish seventh at GMC Outdoor Track and Field Meet
- Boys Track and Field: Wauwatosa East boys fourth at GMC Outdoor Track and Field Meet
- Wauwatosa Sports Notes: May 26, 2016
- Semipro football: Milwaukee County Chargers defeat Bulldogs in exhibition opener, 20-6
- Girls Track and Field: Wauwatosa West girls track team runs away with Woodland Outdoor title
- Wauwatosa's Folley takes first in Greco-Roman Tourney