Senior Carly Herald wasn’t ready to end her high school career Tuesday night and sparked her Wauwatosa East teammates to a thrilling, 42-41, victory over Milwaukee Lutheran in a WIAA Regional quarter-final.
Herald nailed two 3-pointers in the fourth quarter to spark an 11-0 run and then sank the winning free throws with 22.3 seconds left to play on her way to a game-high 15 points.
“She let the game come to her,” a happy East coach Rob Hamill said. “She also showed some emotions on the bench. She didn’t want her season to end.”
The Red Raiders blanked Lutheran, 12-0, in the first quarter, as seven players scored. But has been the case all season, one bad quarter has hurt them.
“That been our pattern all year,” Hamill said. “We’ve taken our lumps but these guys have never quit. These last few weeks we’ve made the post-season our focus.
“They’re playing hard and they’re keeping their heads up. They were resilient, they never gave up.”
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa East girls basketball team uses big second half to beat Wisconsin Lutheran
- Plenty of positives in Wauwatosa West girls' basketball loss to Kettle Moraine
- Wauwatosa East boys basketball team could battle for GMC title
- Wauwatosa West swimming team has bright future with talented underclassmen on the rise
- MacGillis, Barkow share Wauwatosa West boys volleyball MVP honors
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team looks for improvement
- Sports Notes: Nov. 26, 2015
- Wauwatosa Hurricanes return three state qualifiers — Danny Larson, Cal Hartt, Avery Weishoff
- Wauwatosa East girls basketball team has plenty of experience returning
- Wauwatosa East's Potter earns two team cross-country awards