Senior Carly Herald wasn’t ready to end her high school career Tuesday night and sparked her Wauwatosa East teammates to a thrilling, 42-41, victory over Milwaukee Lutheran in a WIAA Regional quarter-final.
Herald nailed two 3-pointers in the fourth quarter to spark an 11-0 run and then sank the winning free throws with 22.3 seconds left to play on her way to a game-high 15 points.
“She let the game come to her,” a happy East coach Rob Hamill said. “She also showed some emotions on the bench. She didn’t want her season to end.”
The Red Raiders blanked Lutheran, 12-0, in the first quarter, as seven players scored. But has been the case all season, one bad quarter has hurt them.
“That been our pattern all year,” Hamill said. “We’ve taken our lumps but these guys have never quit. These last few weeks we’ve made the post-season our focus.
“They’re playing hard and they’re keeping their heads up. They were resilient, they never gave up.”
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Central boys beat Red Raiders, 52-41
- Boys basketball: Tosa East makes most of final opportunity
- Bailey Berlin's free throw sparks win for Wauwatosa East girls basketball
- Wauwatosa East boys stay undefeated, down Falls
- Wrestlers blank co-op trio, 79-0
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team beats Packers for first win
- Trojan girls basketball team beats Brown Deer, loses to Cudahy
- Wauwatosa wins two events, takes seven seconds, three thirds
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball wins Woodland opener
- Wauwatosa East girls bounce back to beat Eagles, 70-27