Wauwatosa West upset South Milwaukee, 69-64, in overtime Wednesday in the regular-season finale at West and knocked the Rockets out of a share for first.
Kieviante Love was 5-for-6 down the stretch in overtime and Tyler Krause added five points as the Trojans outscored the Rockets, 10-5, in the extra period.
Trailing, 19-16, after one quarter as Sam Oliden had eight points for the Rockets, West rallied to take a 28-27 half-time lead, as Jarvis Ashley scored six points in the second period.
Ricky Landers, who opened the second half with two 3's from the right corner, scored 8 points and Ashley added 7 in the third period, as the Trojans took a 49-37 lead into the fourth quarter.
But the Rockets wouldn't quit and went on a 22-10 fourth-quarter run, tying the game on Isaiah Rodrigez' lay-up with 35 seconds to play. Ashley's driving layup on the buzzer went-in and out sending the game into OT. Rodriguez had 9 points in the period.
Austin Stueck scored on a drive to begin overtime and Rodriguez hit two free throws to give the Rockets a 63-59 lead. But Krause got his own rebound banked in a shot, was fouled and scored on the free throw to bring West within one. Krause was fouled again after a South Milwaukee turnover and sank two free throws to take the lead for good, 64-63.
Love then hit 5-of-6 free throws down the stretch for the win.
Ashley had 18 points, Krause and Landers 12 each and Love 10 for West, while Rodriguez had a game-high 21, Oliden had 16 and Stueck 12 for the Rockets.
West finished in fourth place with a 11-6, 12-10 record, winning 7 of 9 to end the year.
The Rockets finished 12-5, 15-7 overall, behind New Berlin Eisenhower (13-4, 16-6) and Whitnall (13-4, 15-7), who their finales.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa East boys CC team makes amends, heads back to state
- Girls volleyball: Wauwatosa West spikers fall to Nicolet in regional
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 30, 2014 issue
- Girls golf: Wauwatosa girls golf team anticipates more success with three returnees next year
- Girls volleyball: Wauwatosa West girls volleyball coach resigns
- Mystery Photo Contest: Oct. 23
- Football: Poll: Which area team will win a state football title?
- Wauwatosa West football team eliminated from playoff chase
- Wauwatosa East Sports Shorts: Oct. 23, 2014
- Wauwatosa West Sports Shorts: Oct. 23, 2014