Jarvis Ashley's basket with 9.8 seconds left to play gave Wauwatosa West a thrilling 51-49 win over first-place Whitnall on Friday at Tosa West.
The win was the fourth in a row for the Trojans and the fifth in six outings as they improved to 8-5 in the Woodland Conference Black Division, 9-8 overall. The Falcons dropped to 10-3, 11-6 overall as they lost to the Trojans for the second time in 11 days.
After a racehorse first half - West led 23-16 after one quarter and Whitnall won the second period 20-10 - the Falcons led 36-33. They increased that to 47-43 after three periods, but then West held the Falcons to a baskte by Bryan Nagy in the fourth period while the Trojans scored eight.
Trailing 49-47, West freshman Ricky Landers hit a layout with 4:09 left to play, but then both teams went cold.
The Trojans ended up with the ball with 33 seconds left and then ran the clock down to 13 seconds when Ashley got the ball on the left side. He then drove the lane and banked in a shot and with 6.1 seconds left, the Falcons called time out.
But the Trojans had only two fouls and used three of them up everytime Whitnall inbounded the ball.
Stephen Pelkofer, who had 16 points through three periods, missed a running shot down the right side of the court which bounced over the rim.
Ashley did a good job on Pelkofer in the final period. Tyler Krause had 16 points for the Trojans and Ashley finished with 13.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Preps Alcove: A look at this year's landscape for Wauwatosa wrestlers
- Girls basketball: Wauwatosa East's complete performance not enough against Spartans
- Girls basketball: Wauwatosa West holds off hard-charging Greenfield team
- Boys swimming: Larson's two wins lead Wauwatosa at Kenosha Bradford swimming invite
- Wrestling: Wauwatosa is 2nd after a string of thriller finishes at the Janssen duals
- Boys basketball: Wauwatosa West locks down Greenfield
- Wauwatosa wrestlers lose a toug one to Whitnall/Greendale
- Sports Wraps: Jan. 22
- Girls basketball: Tosa West emerges from league gauntlet with win
- Boys basketball: Tosa East adds rivalry win to growing resume