Jarvis Ashley's basket with 9.8 seconds left to play gave Wauwatosa West a thrilling 51-49 win over first-place Whitnall on Friday at Tosa West.
The win was the fourth in a row for the Trojans and the fifth in six outings as they improved to 8-5 in the Woodland Conference Black Division, 9-8 overall. The Falcons dropped to 10-3, 11-6 overall as they lost to the Trojans for the second time in 11 days.
After a racehorse first half - West led 23-16 after one quarter and Whitnall won the second period 20-10 - the Falcons led 36-33. They increased that to 47-43 after three periods, but then West held the Falcons to a baskte by Bryan Nagy in the fourth period while the Trojans scored eight.
Trailing 49-47, West freshman Ricky Landers hit a layout with 4:09 left to play, but then both teams went cold.
The Trojans ended up with the ball with 33 seconds left and then ran the clock down to 13 seconds when Ashley got the ball on the left side. He then drove the lane and banked in a shot and with 6.1 seconds left, the Falcons called time out.
But the Trojans had only two fouls and used three of them up everytime Whitnall inbounded the ball.
Stephen Pelkofer, who had 16 points through three periods, missed a running shot down the right side of the court which bounced over the rim.
Ashley did a good job on Pelkofer in the final period. Tyler Krause had 16 points for the Trojans and Ashley finished with 13.
- Wauwatosa lacrosse team beats eighth-ranked Catholic Memorial
- Boys Track and Field: Wauwatosa West boys finish fourth at Woodland Relays
- Girls Soccer: Wauwatosa West girls soccer team wins Woodland Conference championship
- Girls Soccer: Wauwatosa East soccer team splits two games, loses Lily Brock to injury
- Girls Track and Field: Wauwatosa East girls finish seventh at GMC Outdoor Track and Field Meet
- Boys Track and Field: Wauwatosa East boys fourth at GMC Outdoor Track and Field Meet
- Wauwatosa Sports Notes: May 26, 2016
- Semipro football: Milwaukee County Chargers defeat Bulldogs in exhibition opener, 20-6
- Girls Track and Field: Wauwatosa West girls track team runs away with Woodland Outdoor title
- Wauwatosa's Folley takes first in Greco-Roman Tourney