Lancers knock Marquette out of first, Raiders take over top spot with 1-point win over Brookfield East
Wauwatosa East took over first place in the Greater Metro Conference by nipping Brookfield East, 43-42, Friday night while Brookfield Central knocked off Marquette, 58-46.
The Red Raiders (8-1, 12-4) took a 1-game lead over the Hilltoppers (7-2, 9-5) and face off at MUHS on Tuesday after facing Waunakee (12-0) on the road in a non-conference game on Saturday.
Tosa East and Brookfield East (4-5, 9-7) were tied at 17-17 at half-time and then the Red Raiders took a 29-27 lead going into the fourth period. TE junior Darrell Bowie scored 14 points in the second half, seven in each quarter, to lead all scorers with 20 points.
The Raiders Anthony Carroll scored the game winning basket on a drive with 2.7 seconds left to play.
Darius Barnes scored 14 points and Ryan McBride and Andy Raymond added 13 to lead the Spartans, who had a two-game winning streak snapped.
The Lancers, meanwhile, snapped a 4-game losing streak to improve to 5-4, 8-7 overall.
Central led all the way, 11-9 after one quarter, 24-16 at half-time and 45-29 after three quarters. Seth Mortag had 16 and Riley Lachance 13 to lead the Lancers, while Quinten Calloway led MUHS.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Notes: April 24
- McLin leads talented young Trojans
- Treatment Trail fundraiser is June 14 to 22
- Trojans netters look to compete
- 3 former West volleyball players win national club championship
- Sports Shorts: April 17
- Tosa West kickers beat Falcons, Vikings
- Tosa West girls track and field team dominates in winning Woodland West Division Indoor Championship
- Couri Insurance wins City Basketball Title
- Tosa West girls soccer team goes 1-1-1 in first week of season