Alumni teams from Wauwatosa East won the 63rd annual Recreation Department Alumni Basketball Tournament on Dec. 29 at Wauwatosa West High School.
The Greenwill Division, featuring teams from 1972-1992, saw the 1982 Tosa East alumni beat the 1979-81 Tosa East/West squad, 43-32, in the championship game.
The 1982 East team won its 14th Alumni Tournament Championship. Craig Albee led winners 16 points. Other team members were Quentin Cartier, John Zuba, Mike Reiland, John Campion, Tom Templeman, Michael Prein, David Dewhurst, Dan Murphy and John Washcovick.
The Cartier Division showcased teams from 1997-2010. The 2001-02 Tosa East team defeated the 1997-78 Tosa East team, 49-30, in the championship game. The 2001-02 Red Raiders has won four championships over the past five years.
Leading scorers for winners were Ryan Fitzgerald with 10 points. Other members of the team were Steve Mathie, Tad Balsiger, Steve Jozwik, Andy Freund, Aaron Bielowski, Chris Braier, Peter Gerhardt, Winston Roberts and Ben Juech.
In the semifinals, 1997-98 East beat 1997 West, 66-54; 2001-02 East beat 2008-09 East, 64-61; 1979-81 East/West beat 1985 East, 43-34 and 1982 East beat 1992 West, 50-38.
You may view the tournament brackets and past champions at wauwatosa.k12.wi.us/
For more information, please contact Steve Birney at the Recreation Department (414) 773-2911 or email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Central boys beat Red Raiders, 52-41
- Boys basketball: Tosa East makes most of final opportunity
- Bailey Berlin's free throw sparks win for Wauwatosa East girls basketball
- Wauwatosa East boys stay undefeated, down Falls
- Wrestlers blank co-op trio, 79-0
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team beats Packers for first win
- Trojan girls basketball team beats Brown Deer, loses to Cudahy
- Wauwatosa wins two events, takes seven seconds, three thirds
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball wins Woodland opener
- Wauwatosa East girls bounce back to beat Eagles, 70-27