The Wauwatosa West boys basketball team shot 30 percent from the free-throw line and 52 percent from the free-throw line Tuesday night and were run out of their gym by an athletic Brown Deer team, 68-55.
Trailing, 26-21, at intermission, the Falcons went on an 8-3 run to take a 10-point lead at 34-24 with 5:50 left in the third quarter. Baskets by Zach Soderberg and Alex Chu sandwich around two free throws by Jarvis Ashley cut the lead to 34-30 with 2:35 left, but Brown Deer closed out the quarter on a 12-5 run sparked by Trayvon Palmer’s five points.
The Falcons then took a 53-40 lead at the 7:03 mark when the Trojans had their only good stretch from the free-throw line.
Ashley hit two, Tyler Krause, who struggled all night from the field, was 3-of-4, Soderberg put in a rebound shot and Krause stole the ball and passed to Chu for a basket, cutting the lead to 53-49 with just under five minutes left to play.
But the Falcons got hot once again and close out the game on a 15-6 run, sparked by Jamon Jackson-Wilson three lay-ins and 5-of-6 free throws from his teammates down the stretch.
Jackson-Wilson led all scorers with 16 points, with eight coming in the fourth period, while Joziah Mallett added 13 and Keone Moore and Palmer had 12 apiece.
Soderberg played an outstanding game and led the Trojans with 11 points, while Chu had 10 points and Ashley had 10. Once again Kieviante Love added five points, but played outstanding defense all night.
- Baseball: Offense holding back Wauwatosa West baseball team
- SPORTS NOTES JUNE 23
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East baseball wins four conference games
- Former Wauwatosa West star Austin Jones drafted by Chicago Cubs in 26th round
- Lacrosse: Wauwatosa lacrosse has successful season
- New records for Tosa Swim Club
- Baseball: Wauwatosa West baseball team drops four in a row
- Softball: Tosa East's Morgan Schmanski named Team MVP
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East baseball team finishes week with three straight losses
- Sports Notes: June 9