Wauwatosa East had a jump shot blocked at the buzzer and dropped a 61-60 decision at Wisconsin Lutheran Saturday night in non-conference action.
After Terry Nash hit 1-of-2 free throws to give the Vikings a 61-57 lead with 1:53 left to play, Darrell Bowie was fouled and converted 1-of-2 free throws to cut the lead to 61-58.
Bowie then stole the ball, missed the shot, but put in his own rebound to cut the lead to 61-60. The Red Raiders then got the ball back when Diamontae McKinley got a 5-second call on Nash, but they started their play for the final shot too late.
Bowie got the ball at the top of the key, was double teamed and passed to to Vince Cupertino, who put up a shot, which was 'blocked' as time ran out.
The difference in the game came at the free throw lines, as East managed to sink only 18-fo-33, including 8-of-17 by Bowie, while the Vikings were 12-of-15.
Anthony Carroll, who fouled out with 3:21 left to play, finished with 24 points, while Bowie had 16. Chris Golden had 18 and Nash 11 for Wisco.
The Red Raiders are now 3-3 while the Vikings are 4-2.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball coach sees plenty of positives
- Wauwatosa East boys basketball team looking to compete in GMC
- Wauwatosa East spikers have happy ending despite rough journey
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team has plenty of talent back
- Wauwatosa East girls basketball team rallies in fourth quarter
- Hudson walks away with top Wauwatosa West volleyball honors
- Imperiale likes Wauwatosa West girls basketball team's balance
- Wauwatosa West swimmers announce team awards
- Wauwatosa West girls had an 'accomplished' year
- Wauwatosa East swimmers honor Ripple, Peura, Tuffnell