Wauwatosa East had a jump shot blocked at the buzzer and dropped a 61-60 decision at Wisconsin Lutheran Saturday night in non-conference action.
After Terry Nash hit 1-of-2 free throws to give the Vikings a 61-57 lead with 1:53 left to play, Darrell Bowie was fouled and converted 1-of-2 free throws to cut the lead to 61-58.
Bowie then stole the ball, missed the shot, but put in his own rebound to cut the lead to 61-60. The Red Raiders then got the ball back when Diamontae McKinley got a 5-second call on Nash, but they started their play for the final shot too late.
Bowie got the ball at the top of the key, was double teamed and passed to to Vince Cupertino, who put up a shot, which was 'blocked' as time ran out.
The difference in the game came at the free throw lines, as East managed to sink only 18-fo-33, including 8-of-17 by Bowie, while the Vikings were 12-of-15.
Anthony Carroll, who fouled out with 3:21 left to play, finished with 24 points, while Bowie had 16. Chris Golden had 18 and Nash 11 for Wisco.
The Red Raiders are now 3-3 while the Vikings are 4-2.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Preps Alcove: A look at this year's landscape for Wauwatosa wrestlers
- Girls basketball: Wauwatosa East's complete performance not enough against Spartans
- Girls basketball: Wauwatosa West holds off hard-charging Greenfield team
- Boys swimming: Larson's two wins lead Wauwatosa at Kenosha Bradford swimming invite
- Wrestling: Wauwatosa is 2nd after a string of thriller finishes at the Janssen duals
- Boys basketball: Wauwatosa West locks down Greenfield
- Wauwatosa wrestlers lose a toug one to Whitnall/Greendale
- Sports Wraps: Jan. 22
- Girls basketball: Tosa West emerges from league gauntlet with win
- Boys basketball: Tosa East adds rivalry win to growing resume