Brookfield Central and Wauwatosa East went into overtime Friday night at Central and then the Lancers went on a 17-3 tear to walk away with a 58-44 victory.
Senior guard Alex Olson missed the front end of a 1-on-1 with 3.8 seconds left in regulation, but then made up for it by scoring seven of Central's 17 points in overtime.
Olsen nailed a 3-pointer with 2:30 left to play to give Central a 44-41 lead. Tosa East then turned the ball over and Seth Mortag then got the ball, took off down court and dunked the ball, bringing down the house on the Lancers' side.
Anthony Carroll then fouled Olson and he sank two free throws for a 48-41 lead with 1:36 left to play.
Freshman Riley LaChance then hit Jacob Mahkorn with a beautiful pass for a lay-up for a 50-41 lead. Tosa East's Vince Cupertino then hit a 3-pointer from deep in the right corner, cutting the lead to 50-44 with 49.3 seconds left. But that was the only points the Red Raiders scored in the OT period.
Two free throws by LaChance, Mortag, LaChance again and Olson closed out the scoring.
LaChance was the game's high-scorer with 14 points, five coming in the fourth quarter to keep Central in the game. Olson added 13 points and Mortag 10. Mahkorn finished with nine and Nick Olson had eight points and 10 rebounds.
The Red Raiders, who only scored four points in the fourth quarter in their opening loss to Whitefish Bay Dominican on Saturday, were led by Darrell Bowie with 12 points.
Central is now 1-0 in the Greater Metro and 1-1 overall, while East is 0-1 and 0-2 overall.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West baseball coach sees improved pitching and defense ahead
- Wauwatosa East baseball swinging for consistency
- Wauwatosa West softball team edges Tosa East in thriller
- Wauwatosa East Sports Shorts: May 23
- SportsShorts: May 23
- Wauwatosa West girls track and field team wins West Allis Central Regional
- Wauwatosa East's Pridgeon wins both hurdle events at West Allis Central Regional
- Wauwatosa East girls track and field team send a dozen to sectional
- Wauwatosa West boys track and field team sends 15 to sectionals
- Red Raiders girls soccer had red-hot week