Brookfield Central and Wauwatosa East went into overtime Friday night at Central and then the Lancers went on a 17-3 tear to walk away with a 58-44 victory.
Senior guard Alex Olson missed the front end of a 1-on-1 with 3.8 seconds left in regulation, but then made up for it by scoring seven of Central's 17 points in overtime.
Olsen nailed a 3-pointer with 2:30 left to play to give Central a 44-41 lead. Tosa East then turned the ball over and Seth Mortag then got the ball, took off down court and dunked the ball, bringing down the house on the Lancers' side.
Anthony Carroll then fouled Olson and he sank two free throws for a 48-41 lead with 1:36 left to play.
Freshman Riley LaChance then hit Jacob Mahkorn with a beautiful pass for a lay-up for a 50-41 lead. Tosa East's Vince Cupertino then hit a 3-pointer from deep in the right corner, cutting the lead to 50-44 with 49.3 seconds left. But that was the only points the Red Raiders scored in the OT period.
Two free throws by LaChance, Mortag, LaChance again and Olson closed out the scoring.
LaChance was the game's high-scorer with 14 points, five coming in the fourth quarter to keep Central in the game. Olson added 13 points and Mortag 10. Mahkorn finished with nine and Nick Olson had eight points and 10 rebounds.
The Red Raiders, who only scored four points in the fourth quarter in their opening loss to Whitefish Bay Dominican on Saturday, were led by Darrell Bowie with 12 points.
Central is now 1-0 in the Greater Metro and 1-1 overall, while East is 0-1 and 0-2 overall.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Boys basketball: Tosa East makes most of final opportunity
- Bailey Berlin's free throw sparks win for Wauwatosa East girls basketball
- Wauwatosa East boys stay undefeated, down Falls
- Wrestlers blank co-op trio, 79-0
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team beats Packers for first win
- Trojan girls basketball team beats Brown Deer, loses to Cudahy
- Wauwatosa wins two events, takes seven seconds, three thirds
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball wins Woodland opener
- Wauwatosa East girls bounce back to beat Eagles, 70-27
- Wauwatosa wrestlers claim Cougar Invitational