Wauwatosa East played Marquette tough, but the talented Hilltoppers won 3-1 in the WIAA State Boys Volleyball semi-finals Saturday afternoon at Wisconsin Lutheran College.
Marquette (39-6) won the first match, 27-25, as the Hilltoppers rallied from a 24-23 deficit. Tosa East won the second match (25-23) in another back-and-forth battle to even the match at 1-1.
Marquette led, 20-19, but East's Max Kilpin killed a shot to tie it and then served three straight points, two on kills by Aaron Uden to take a 23-20 lead.
Peter Hutz of Marquette killed a shot and Michael Schneck aced a serve to cut the lead to 23-22, but Uden and Hutz traded kills to make it 24-23, when Uden killed a shot from the right side for the win.
But Marquette won the third game, 25-21, holding several four-point leads and then rolled over the Red Raiders in the fourth game 25-12.
Connor Barth had 18 kills and Hutz 17 and 10 digs, while Schneck had 42 assists and 16 digs. Kilpin and Uden each had 15 kills, Sam Ingrilli had 33 assists and 11 digs, Zak Sylvester had 5 kills and 8 digs and Ryan Hoffland had 9 digs.
Marquette will play Catholic Memorial for the title at 5:30 p.m.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball coach sees plenty of positives
- Wauwatosa East boys basketball team looking to compete in GMC
- Wauwatosa East spikers have happy ending despite rough journey
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team has plenty of talent back
- Wauwatosa East girls basketball team rallies in fourth quarter
- Hudson walks away with top Wauwatosa West volleyball honors
- Imperiale likes Wauwatosa West girls basketball team's balance
- Wauwatosa West swimmers announce team awards
- Wauwatosa West girls had an 'accomplished' year
- Wauwatosa East swimmers honor Ripple, Peura, Tuffnell