Wauwatosa East played Marquette tough, but the talented Hilltoppers won 3-1 in the WIAA State Boys Volleyball semi-finals Saturday afternoon at Wisconsin Lutheran College.
Marquette (39-6) won the first match, 27-25, as the Hilltoppers rallied from a 24-23 deficit. Tosa East won the second match (25-23) in another back-and-forth battle to even the match at 1-1.
Marquette led, 20-19, but East's Max Kilpin killed a shot to tie it and then served three straight points, two on kills by Aaron Uden to take a 23-20 lead.
Peter Hutz of Marquette killed a shot and Michael Schneck aced a serve to cut the lead to 23-22, but Uden and Hutz traded kills to make it 24-23, when Uden killed a shot from the right side for the win.
But Marquette won the third game, 25-21, holding several four-point leads and then rolled over the Red Raiders in the fourth game 25-12.
Connor Barth had 18 kills and Hutz 17 and 10 digs, while Schneck had 42 assists and 16 digs. Kilpin and Uden each had 15 kills, Sam Ingrilli had 33 assists and 11 digs, Zak Sylvester had 5 kills and 8 digs and Ryan Hoffland had 9 digs.
Marquette will play Catholic Memorial for the title at 5:30 p.m.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa East boys could surprise in post-season
- Wauwatosa West battles Popes but loses in overtime
- Wauwatosa West senior boys weren't ready to call it a basketball season yet
- Wauwatosa West's Brown hits a 3-pointer to send playoff into 2 overtimes
- Wauwatosa East boys basketball team nips Huskies in overtime
- Sports Notes: March 5
- Larson named Wauwatosa Hurricanes' Most Valuable Athlete
- Wauwatosa East girls see season end in regional semifinal
- Wrestling: Video: Folley gives Wauwatosa program's first wrestling champion
- Girls basketball: Abbey Jones delivers down the stretch for Wauwatosa West girls basketball