The Wauwatosa East Jr. Raiders where on the grand stage this past weekend for the All-American Youth Football League Championship, but a furious comeback fell short in a 28-17 loss to the Greendale Panthers at Greendale High School.
The Jr. Raiders took the opening kickoff and marched down to the Greendale 4-yard line sparked by a long run by Jalen Fischer, as well as a pass to Ethan Telderer. The Greendale defense dug in, however, and the Raiders settled for a 22-yard field goal by Grant Myse.
The rest of the half belonged to Greendale as they effectively ran their spread offense and took advantage of some Raider turnovers to take a 22-3 halftime lead.
The Jr. Raiders got on the board first in the second half on a 94-yard touchdown run by Amaru King, cutting the lead to 22-11.
Greendale was able to counter the Raider charge with another touchdown and a 28-11 advantage.
The Jr. Raiders wouldn't quit and finished their scoring with the Telderer brothers accounting for the touchdown.
Jackson Telderer made a solid shot to his brother Ethan on a passing touchdown to make it a 28-17 final.
The loss ended a 15-game winning streak for the Jr. Raiders, dating back to the first week of their seventh-grade campaign.
The Jr. Raiders are coached by Jerry Vance and assisted by Ted Lang, Brian Leon, Tom Telderer, Steve Rolfe and Jim Larson.
Members are Jackson Telderer, Jack Mihelich, Danny Markwardt, Jaren Vance, Brad Larson, Amaru King, Gavin Bonus-Lovald, Jesse Thompson, Jason Leon, Jake Zellmer, Ben Reagan, Eric Brzezinski, Austin Kasal, Jalen Fischer, Ryan Sattler, Miles Kilpin and Max Hawthorne.
Also among the ranks are Spencer Zuberbuehler, Ross Janis, Tyran Thompson, Grant Myse, Jeremy Hahn, Nicholas Koranda, Zach Hoffland, Mitch Armstrong, Jylin King, Jake Meach, Brennan Roche, Ben Bauer, Michael Rolfe, Charlie Fahr, Kongcheng Thao, Ian Quast, Ethan Telderer.
- Wauwatosa lacrosse team beats eighth-ranked Catholic Memorial
- Boys Track and Field: Wauwatosa West boys finish fourth at Woodland Relays
- Girls Soccer: Wauwatosa West girls soccer team wins Woodland Conference championship
- Girls Soccer: Wauwatosa East soccer team splits two games, loses Lily Brock to injury
- Girls Track and Field: Wauwatosa East girls finish seventh at GMC Outdoor Track and Field Meet
- Boys Track and Field: Wauwatosa East boys fourth at GMC Outdoor Track and Field Meet
- Wauwatosa Sports Notes: May 26, 2016
- Semipro football: Milwaukee County Chargers defeat Bulldogs in exhibition opener, 20-6
- Girls Track and Field: Wauwatosa West girls track team runs away with Woodland Outdoor title
- Wauwatosa's Folley takes first in Greco-Roman Tourney