The Wauwatosa East Jr. Raiders where on the grand stage this past weekend for the All-American Youth Football League Championship, but a furious comeback fell short in a 28-17 loss to the Greendale Panthers at Greendale High School.
The Jr. Raiders took the opening kickoff and marched down to the Greendale 4-yard line sparked by a long run by Jalen Fischer, as well as a pass to Ethan Telderer. The Greendale defense dug in, however, and the Raiders settled for a 22-yard field goal by Grant Myse.
The rest of the half belonged to Greendale as they effectively ran their spread offense and took advantage of some Raider turnovers to take a 22-3 halftime lead.
The Jr. Raiders got on the board first in the second half on a 94-yard touchdown run by Amaru King, cutting the lead to 22-11.
Greendale was able to counter the Raider charge with another touchdown and a 28-11 advantage.
The Jr. Raiders wouldn't quit and finished their scoring with the Telderer brothers accounting for the touchdown.
Jackson Telderer made a solid shot to his brother Ethan on a passing touchdown to make it a 28-17 final.
The loss ended a 15-game winning streak for the Jr. Raiders, dating back to the first week of their seventh-grade campaign.
The Jr. Raiders are coached by Jerry Vance and assisted by Ted Lang, Brian Leon, Tom Telderer, Steve Rolfe and Jim Larson.
Members are Jackson Telderer, Jack Mihelich, Danny Markwardt, Jaren Vance, Brad Larson, Amaru King, Gavin Bonus-Lovald, Jesse Thompson, Jason Leon, Jake Zellmer, Ben Reagan, Eric Brzezinski, Austin Kasal, Jalen Fischer, Ryan Sattler, Miles Kilpin and Max Hawthorne.
Also among the ranks are Spencer Zuberbuehler, Ross Janis, Tyran Thompson, Grant Myse, Jeremy Hahn, Nicholas Koranda, Zach Hoffland, Mitch Armstrong, Jylin King, Jake Meach, Brennan Roche, Ben Bauer, Michael Rolfe, Charlie Fahr, Kongcheng Thao, Ian Quast, Ethan Telderer.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- For Wauwatosa Hurricanes' Danny Larson, it's all about the team
- Wauwatosa West boys basketball team bounces back to beat New Berlin West
- Folley, Miller bring home gold at Woodland Meet as Tosa finishes third
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball team drops five in a row
- Wauwatosa East girls basketball team defeats Menomonee Falls to snap 3-game losing streak
- Big Cheese Classic National Wheelchair Basketball tourney set for Feb. 20-21
- Wauwatosa's Larson wins two swimming championship
- Wauwatosa East boys basketball team drops third straight game
- Five Wauwatosa East student-athletes to play at collegiate level
- Wauwatosa's Beekman to play football at Southern A&M