Brookfield East and Wauwatosa West advanced to the WIAA Sectional semi-finals with wins Friday night, while Brookfield Central saw its season come to an end.
The fourth-seeded Spartans beat the fifth-seeded Whitefish Bay/Dominican co-op in three games (25-19, 25-22, 25-18) - no individual stats were available. East will now play at Wauwatosa East against the top-seeded Red Raiders on Tuesday night.
The third-seeded Trojans beat sixth-seeded Central, 3-1, in a hard-fought match at West. The Trojans won the first two games (25-23, 25-20), but the Lancers battled back to win the third game (25-21). West then won the fourth game (25-19) to advance to the next round against second-seeded Shorewood, the Woodland Conference champs, on Tuesday night at Shorewood. They finished one game ahead of the Trojans.
Alec Redlich was on fire for the Trojans as he had 24 kills and 9 blocks against Central. Mitch Lahmann had 8 digs and Travis Hudson had 47 assists.
For Central, Steven Dusing had 19 assists and 4 aces while Andrew Dusing had 18 assists. Michael O'Brien had 13 kills, Michael Cayo added 11 digs, Drew Schilz had 9 kills, 4 blocks and 3 aces.
- Sports Shorts: May 5, 2016
- Softball: Wauwatosa East batters come to life against Brown Deer, Brookfield East
- Girls soccer: Wauwatosa East, West girls soccer teams tie in Battle of Tosa
- Wauwatosa East boys track team finishes fourth at Dan Benson Invite
- Boys golf: Wauwatosa golfers win Panther Invite
- Softball: Wauwatosa West softball team holds on to nip Port Washington
- Girls track and field: Wauwatosa East girls track team finishes fourth at Dan Benson Invite
- Girls track and field: Adams leads the way for Wauwatosa West girls at Dan Benson Invite
- Boys track and field: Wauwatosa West boys track and field team finishes fifth at Dan Benson Invite
- Boys Club Volleyball: Travis Hudson earns third straight volleyball National Player of the Year Award