Wauwatosa West exploded for 27 points in the third quarter and coasted to a 40-0 victory over St. Thomas Moore on Saturday afternoon at St. Francis High School.
The game was scoreless at half-time as Tosa West had to play short-handed because five players were suspended. But playing at full strength in the second half, the Cavaliers were no match for coach Matt Good's crew.
Running back Amauri Rushing got the Trojans off and running in the second half when he raced around right end for a 55-yard touchdown run with 7:14 on the clock and a 7-0 lead. Linebacker Troy Festge then sacked the Cavaliers quarterback giving the ball back to Tosa West.
Quarterback Colin Dettlaff then dropped back to pass and hit wide receiver Oliver Jones in stride down the left sideline for a 60-yard touchdown and a 14-0 lead with 4:52 on the clock.
Then Mickey Morgan dumped a short kick-off down the right side of the field and when the More player backed off instead of falling on the ball, Jon Doolen recovered it for the Trojans. Six plays later, Joe Domina bulled in for the score from the 2-yard line and a 21-0 lead.
Aaron Payne-Atkinson the recovered his second fumble on the More 35-yard line and Rushing raced 57 yards around right end for the score and a 27-0 lead with 1:45 left in the third period.
More fumbled on the next drive and Paul Brown recovered on the More 35-yard line. Tosa West scored on seven plays, topped off on Harry Ostrenga's 1-yard score for a 33-0 lead.
After a four and out for the Cavaliers, the Trojans took over on the More 34. Running back Danny Jones raced around right end for a 36-yard run and quarterback Josh Stoeckman ran it in for the final score.
Leading by more than 35 points, the Trojans put the running clock in effect the rest of the way.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Shorts: April 17
- Tosa West kickers beat Falcons, Vikings
- Tosa West girls track and field team dominates in winning Woodland West Division Indoor Championship
- Couri Insurance wins City Basketball Title
- Tosa West girls soccer team goes 1-1-1 in first week of season
- Cavs, Dashers beat Tosa East
- Wauwatosa West boys track wins Case Classic Invitational
- Tosa East boys tennis team returns eight letterwinners
- East kickers blanked Pius, 2-0, for first win
- Ashley Lindstrom named Wauwatosa West girls basketball MVP