Thirty-six Wauwatosa Whitman Middle School seventh- graders were semifinalists at their level in the state Letters About Literature competition.
Each student selects a book — fiction or nonfiction — that changed their view of the world or themselves. The students write a persuasive letter to the author explaining how the book affected them and why, including specific details supporting their opinion. Katherine Waterbury placed second in the state event. Semifinalists are: Malaika Ashraf, Samantha Barker, Jonathon Baumler, Lauren Boome, Taegen Bourdo, Citali Cortez, Alexander Cruz, Adeline Davis, Milana Davis, Isabella Espinosa, Jimmy Fuhrman, Janpah Giorno, Maya Greenberg, Madilyn Gruenwald, Samantha Kennedy, Dory McMurphy, Hannah Mouradian, Noelle Mullen, Ani Noorlander, Gerry Neugent, Liam O'Donnell, Irene Phillips, Anthony Reis, Haisam Rihawi, Faith Schaffer, Andrinay Smith, Julia Stacey, Sophia Tappa, Teresa Gabriel Toohill, Kristina Waterbury, Caroline Weickardt, Jacob White, Kayla Wiesneski, Jessica Zembles and Kate Zimney.
The Letters About Literature contest is sponsored by the Center for the Book in the Library of Congress. Letters must first advance through two rounds of reading by Letters About Literature central judges before moving on to the state competition.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa offers 'Citizen's Academy' course
- Wauwatosa schools consider largest investment yet in facilities; discuss replacing buildings
- State Street Station in Wauwatosa Village gets preliminary approval
- DOT considering Mayfair Road expansion, acquisitions through Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Village businesses collect food donations for Tosa Cares
- Wauwatosa meetings: Jan. 22
- Wauwatosa West's We The People team advances to the National Finals in Washington, D.C.
- On the Move: Jan. 22
- In Our Schools: Jan. 22
- Ask Now: When will the work be done at Highway 100 and Capitol Drive?