Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
What is going to happen to the property that had been occupied by Colony Camera?
Issue: A reader pointed out that the camera store at 8807 W. North Ave. has been closed for several years. She said it was "sad," because it was a helpful store. "How are the owners able to continue to hold on to the building and land without any business?" she wondered. "Are they ever going to consider selling?"
Status: The answer to the first question remains a mystery since the owner, recorded with the city as Christine Whitstone, did not answer her business phone. A outgoing voicemail message asks for a name and message from those interested in the business or its contents and ends with, "We'll try to get back to you."
The camera shop and adjoining property at 2289 Lundquist Ave., which has been a physician office and residence, is listed in the Colony Camera window as for sale for $899,000 "as is."
Wauwatosa Director of Development Paulette Enders said about six to 10 inquiries regarding the property have come to her department over the past two years. The city works to connect potential buyers with business property owners. The city also offers special financing.
"Typically, you never like to see a vacant business along a business district," Enders said. "It creates a gap in the retail trade."
Colony Camera's telephone number is (414) 258-9770.
Submit your question by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue traffic signals be improved?
- Ask NOW: Why is there always a police car on 68th near Bluemound?
- Ask NOW: Is the daycare at 73rd and Center going to reopen?
- Ask NOW: What constitutes a clear walkway?
- Ask NOW: Are repairs on tap for 60th Street?
- Ask NOW: Why isn't the wall at the Greenfield Ave. bridge finished?
- Ask NOW: Building once housed pediatric clinic, soon to be home to law firm
- Ask NOW: Why are there only turn lanes at Highway 100 and Potter Road/Research Drive?
- Ask NOW: Why is there a cul de sac at Capitol and Lisbon?
- Ask NOW: Can I turn right on red over railroad tracks?
- Ask NOW: What is the purpose of Discovery Parkway?
- Ask NOW: Will The Container Store be part of Mayfair Collection?
- Ask NOW: Will 68th and Milwaukee ever get stoplights?
- Ask NOW: Should Tosans be concerned about coyotes?
- Ask NOW: Why is the main North Avenue entrance to Mayfair Mall closed?
- Ask NOW: Why did someone tear down a house near Wauwatosa East High School?
- Ask NOW: When will the house near 76th and Wright streets be completed?
- Ask NOW: How does the city decide which sidewalk squares to replace?
- Ask NOW: When will the city provide more off-street parking for North Avenue?
- Ask NOW: Will the Watertown Plank Road reconstruction project include converting the coal plant?