Why are dogs allowed at
the Tosa Farmer's Market?
Question: A reader feels that dogs should not be allowed at the open-air Tosa Farmer's Market because they are not allowed inside grocery stores or restaurants. The reader asked, "Is there an ordinance prohibiting pets in outdoor markets?"
Answer: There is no city ordinance, but there is a new Pooch Policy being enforced by the market's organizers, said Maureen Millmann, president of the Tosa Farmer's Market.
The policy calls for keeping one's dog on a short leash and close to the owner's side, keeping the pet away from produce and other food, and making sure canines are friendly to other dogs and people. Per the policy, the market also reserves the right to ask visitors with dogs to leave the market should their pets become unruly.
"We know people love to bring their dogs to the market, and there are a lot of entry points to the area, so it would be hard for us to completely control that," Millmann said. "We know not everyone likes dogs, but this is a public space."
Millmann added that the market works closely with the Wauwatosa Health Department.
"This policy helps us maintain a comfortable setting for everyone," she said.
Get in touch
Want us to track down a rumor? Fix a problem? Send an email to email@example.com or visit WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What can be done to make the Village more pedestrian-friendly?
- Ask Now: What are the hours of the Hart Park splash pad?
- Ask Wauwatosa Now: Why is it overgrown along 124th Street south of North Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will the fence at Hartung Park be removed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the apartments under construction on North Avenue so close to the street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are some right lanes striped?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why aren't my neighborhood's trees being trimmed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking limited for residents near the zoo?
- Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Highway 100?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Can Tosa Presbyterian put a "Do Not Enter" sign in the street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the gym floors at Longellow and Tosa East in such bad shape?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's under that red tent on Burleigh Road?
- Ask Wauwatosa Now: Why is Tosa's ZIP Code 53226 linked to Milwaukee?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why yield when turning right into my own lane?
- Ask Now: Why is there only one westbound Watertown Plank Road lane leading to Highway 45 ramps?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's the status of the church for sale on 70th Street?
- Ask Now: Will Wauwatosa build a sidewalk between Swan Boulevard trails and Discovery Parkway?
- Ask Now: Why does Aldi have so many handicap parking spaces?
- Ask Now: Why does the Police Department continue to publish a paper version of its newsletter?