Taste before you buy will be the theme behind The Ruby Tap, a wine bar and shop that is expected to open in late June in the Village.
Brooke Boomer, who will own and operate the business with her sister, requested a liquor license from the city Tuesday.
"We wanted to make a place we'd like to go," she said. "We'll have wine-tasting machines, so you can try before you buy."
Thirty-two machines will give customers numerous choices. If that's not enough variety, another 40 wines will be available off tap for purchase.
The business will be located at 1341 Wauwatosa Ave., in the redeveloped former Drew's Variety Store building, next to Yo Mama frozen yogurt shop.
Boomer said she also plans on a few outdoor tables and a large glass door that could stay open during the warmer months to make the outdoors more of an extension of the shop.
The Legislation, Licensing and Communications Committee liked the concept and unanimously recommended issuing the license.
"Serve yourself is a pretty neat concept," committee member Alderman Don Birschel said.
The Common Council will vote on the license next week.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Business Spotlight: Face time is the best time for photographer Stephanie Bartz
- Business Notes: Nov. 26
- Wauwatosa unveils convenient, affordable water online water bill payment options
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Nov. 26
- Wauwatosa girl scouts help feed the hungry this Thanksgiving
- Ask Now: Why the fancy drain at Hart Park? (2)
- In Brief: Nov. 26
- Wauwatosa library announces campaign to give students study space
- In our schools
- Wauwatosa school board hears proposals for new course offerings