Taste before you buy will be the theme behind The Ruby Tap, a wine bar and shop that is expected to open in late June in the Village.
Brooke Boomer, who will own and operate the business with her sister, requested a liquor license from the city Tuesday.
"We wanted to make a place we'd like to go," she said. "We'll have wine-tasting machines, so you can try before you buy."
Thirty-two machines will give customers numerous choices. If that's not enough variety, another 40 wines will be available off tap for purchase.
The business will be located at 1341 Wauwatosa Ave., in the redeveloped former Drew's Variety Store building, next to Yo Mama frozen yogurt shop.
Boomer said she also plans on a few outdoor tables and a large glass door that could stay open during the warmer months to make the outdoors more of an extension of the shop.
The Legislation, Licensing and Communications Committee liked the concept and unanimously recommended issuing the license.
"Serve yourself is a pretty neat concept," committee member Alderman Don Birschel said.
The Common Council will vote on the license next week.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Driver ejected from car after hitting tree in Wauwatosa (2)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: July 2
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?
- Monarch habitat on the mend in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Police Report: June 21-27
- Wauwatosa native reflects on time in Afghanistan, Sudan
- Residents who live and work in Wauwatosa will be set back during the bus strike
- Wauwatosa detective home from hospital after shooting
- Thai-namite plans new location in Wauwatosa's former City Market building
- Business Notes: July 2