Taste before you buy will be the theme behind The Ruby Tap, a wine bar and shop that is expected to open in late June in the Village.
Brooke Boomer, who will own and operate the business with her sister, requested a liquor license from the city Tuesday.
"We wanted to make a place we'd like to go," she said. "We'll have wine-tasting machines, so you can try before you buy."
Thirty-two machines will give customers numerous choices. If that's not enough variety, another 40 wines will be available off tap for purchase.
The business will be located at 1341 Wauwatosa Ave., in the redeveloped former Drew's Variety Store building, next to Yo Mama frozen yogurt shop.
Boomer said she also plans on a few outdoor tables and a large glass door that could stay open during the warmer months to make the outdoors more of an extension of the shop.
The Legislation, Licensing and Communications Committee liked the concept and unanimously recommended issuing the license.
"Serve yourself is a pretty neat concept," committee member Alderman Don Birschel said.
The Common Council will vote on the license next week.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late-falling leaves a headache for Wauwatosa
- Birschel says he will not run for re-election
- Police: Man slumped over in broken car arrested for OWI
- Ask NOW: What is the purpose of Discovery Parkway?
- Scam perpetrators use identity of local company
- This Week in Tosa History: Dec. 5
- Property tax bills hit mailboxes next week
- Skate park fundraising reaches $240,000
- More than 1,000 go blue for Sebena
- New Swan Blvd. soon to open as Mayfair work ends north of I-94