Taste before you buy will be the theme behind The Ruby Tap, a wine bar and shop that is expected to open in late June in the Village.
Brooke Boomer, who will own and operate the business with her sister, requested a liquor license from the city Tuesday.
"We wanted to make a place we'd like to go," she said. "We'll have wine-tasting machines, so you can try before you buy."
Thirty-two machines will give customers numerous choices. If that's not enough variety, another 40 wines will be available off tap for purchase.
The business will be located at 1341 Wauwatosa Ave., in the redeveloped former Drew's Variety Store building, next to Yo Mama frozen yogurt shop.
Boomer said she also plans on a few outdoor tables and a large glass door that could stay open during the warmer months to make the outdoors more of an extension of the shop.
The Legislation, Licensing and Communications Committee liked the concept and unanimously recommended issuing the license.
"Serve yourself is a pretty neat concept," committee member Alderman Don Birschel said.
The Common Council will vote on the license next week.
- 360NOW: Wander Wawatosa's village
- Milwaukee Co. Zoo welcomes new female giraffe calf
- Video Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa seeks volunteers for focus groups on city communication
- Area businesses collaborate to create the 'Cranky Sammie' in East Tosa
- District leaders question use of Wauwatosa schools as voting locations (9)
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: May 2
- Moms get free admission to the zoo
- Pathways High alternative school pushes ahead despite adverse response from Wauwatosa schools
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 17-23