A Wendy's could fill the fast-food void left when Steak 'n Shake closed at 124th and Burleigh streets 18 months ago.
Tedd Meredith, a representative for the Oak Creek-based Wendy's franchisee Bridgeman Foods, brought a request Monday for a conditional use to the city's Plan Commission.
In an application, Meredith said he expected to hire 45 full- and part-time employees to work at the restaurant.
As with other Wendy's locations, this restaurant will offer indoor seating and use the existing drive-thru. Hours will be similar to the Steak 'n Shake's operation: 5 a.m. to midnight Sunday through Thursday and until 1 a.m. Friday and Saturday.
When the Steak 'n Shake was approved - it opened in 2007 - there was talk that the late-night hours would allow Briggs & Stratton workers from various shifts find a nearby place to eat, Mayor Jill Didier said.
Unlike the prior restaurant, which never caught on in the Milwaukee area and closed Wauwatosa and Waukesha locations, Bridgeman Foods operates numerous local Wendy's eateries.
The Plan Commission unanimously supported the request. The Community Development Committee takes it up Tuesday night.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Mayfair parking structure to open tonight
- The Malt Shoppe opens Friday in Wauwatosa
- Taste of the Town: Eddie Martini's remains a classic stop
- Wauwatosa businesses recognized for employing people with disabilities
- Neighbors continue combating Wauwatosa Woman's Club parking proposal (1)
- Wauwatosa's Center Street, lined with schools, could see sidewalks, bike lanes
- Wauwatosa negotiating financial aid for Underwood apartments
- Weekly Planner: Oct. 23
- Tosa East Players perform play-within-a-play in 'Curtains'
- What to expect as Wauwautosa YMCA changes hands