A Wendy's could fill the fast-food void left when Steak 'n Shake closed at 124th and Burleigh streets 18 months ago.
Tedd Meredith, a representative for the Oak Creek-based Wendy's franchisee Bridgeman Foods, brought a request Monday for a conditional use to the city's Plan Commission.
In an application, Meredith said he expected to hire 45 full- and part-time employees to work at the restaurant.
As with other Wendy's locations, this restaurant will offer indoor seating and use the existing drive-thru. Hours will be similar to the Steak 'n Shake's operation: 5 a.m. to midnight Sunday through Thursday and until 1 a.m. Friday and Saturday.
When the Steak 'n Shake was approved - it opened in 2007 - there was talk that the late-night hours would allow Briggs & Stratton workers from various shifts find a nearby place to eat, Mayor Jill Didier said.
Unlike the prior restaurant, which never caught on in the Milwaukee area and closed Wauwatosa and Waukesha locations, Bridgeman Foods operates numerous local Wendy's eateries.
The Plan Commission unanimously supported the request. The Community Development Committee takes it up Tuesday night.
- Name revealed of new female giraffe at Milwaukee Co. Zoo
- State Street road work may be the biggest headache this year in Wauwatosa (1)
- Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa law enforcement honors fallen officers during national bike tour (1)
- Wauwatosa alderman calls 1979 parking ordinance 'nitpicky,' looks for change (11)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: May 26
- Wauwatosa News IQ: May 26
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Tosa school libraries gear up for fall introduction of 'makerspaces'
- Tosa West's We the People team reflects on nationals, yearly successes