Four Wauwatosa East High School students won Scholastic Writing Awards in the 2013-14 regional competition.
Senior Raci Lynch won three awards: Gold Key in short story for "Two New Friends and Various Refreshments," Gold Key in flash fiction for "Life of Rebecca Mahoney" and an honorable mention in writing portfolio.
Senior Melena Steffes won a Gold Key in personal essay for "Monster Within."
Junior Marcus Smith earned an honorable mention in poetry for "Mind of a Villain," and sophomore sophomore Justice Hernday earned an honorable mention in poetry for "Within, Lashing Out, Beauty."
Founded in 1923, the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards is the longest-running recognition program in the United States for creative teenagers. Awards are given by the Alliance for Young Artists & Writers.
In 2009, Still Waters Collective earned approval by the Alliance Board as the regional affiliate to administer the writing competition to southeast Wisconsin. Still Waters Collective received 130 original entries this year, a 50 percent increase from last year. Panelists look for works that best exemplify originality, technical skill and the emergence of a personal voice or vision, according to contest rules.
The closing ceremony will be held in May in the Stackner Cabaret at the Milwaukee Repertory Theater.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: March 5
- Public Forum: Women's rights, abortion rights, are not respected
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: March 5
- Dry cleaner seeks expansion into old City Market in Wauwatosa
- Twirly Birds vintage store plans return to Wauwatosa
- Construction worker dies in machinery accident at Zoo Interchange project
- Wauwatosa East teacher Barb Bruesewitz named ProStart Teacher of the Year
- Wauwatosa Virtual Academy meets diverse need of learners
- Pancake breakfast Sunday will raise money for scholarships
- Soup sampling fundraiser benefits Wauwatosa Woman's Club