Four Wauwatosa East High School students won Scholastic Writing Awards in the 2013-14 regional competition.
Senior Raci Lynch won three awards: Gold Key in short story for "Two New Friends and Various Refreshments," Gold Key in flash fiction for "Life of Rebecca Mahoney" and an honorable mention in writing portfolio.
Senior Melena Steffes won a Gold Key in personal essay for "Monster Within."
Junior Marcus Smith earned an honorable mention in poetry for "Mind of a Villain," and sophomore sophomore Justice Hernday earned an honorable mention in poetry for "Within, Lashing Out, Beauty."
Founded in 1923, the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards is the longest-running recognition program in the United States for creative teenagers. Awards are given by the Alliance for Young Artists & Writers.
In 2009, Still Waters Collective earned approval by the Alliance Board as the regional affiliate to administer the writing competition to southeast Wisconsin. Still Waters Collective received 130 original entries this year, a 50 percent increase from last year. Panelists look for works that best exemplify originality, technical skill and the emergence of a personal voice or vision, according to contest rules.
The closing ceremony will be held in May in the Stackner Cabaret at the Milwaukee Repertory Theater.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: What is being built at Hart Park?
- Bob Simi, new director at Milwaukee Regional Medical Center, sees opportunities for development
- How 205 immigrants became citizens at the State Fair Park last week
- Newly designed NICU at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin creates homelike environment
- Wauwatosa breaks out its holiday cheer
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Nov. 27
- Ethnic foods unite Eisenhower fifth-graders for pre-Thanksgiving feast
- Found in possession of stolen jewelry, Wauwatosa's Gold Emporium could lose license
- Ice skating to return to Center Street Park on Wauwatosa border after decades away
- U.S. Naval Academy midshipman educates young minds at Our Redeemer Lutheran School