Coming out ahead of the statewide average ACT score, but not showing improvement from previous years, Wauwatosa students scored a composite average of 23.4 this year on the curriculum-based college readiness test.
More Wauwatosa students took the test than ever before, according to Superintendent Phil Ertl, with 75 percent of students participating.
About 73 percent of Wisconsin high school graduates took the ACT. The average score statewide, 22.2, was the second highest in the nation, falling only behind Minnesota's average of 22.9.
Wauwatosa did not score in the top ten school districts in the metro area, which was led by Whitefish Bay with an average score of 26.72. The highest possible score is 36.
Wauwatosa students taking the test this year tied last year's score, but came in lightly lower than previous years since 2002.
Ertl said he was not concerned that the scores didn't improve. He thinks recent changes to the science curriculum, as well as the practice tests and tutoring sessions the district offers, will lead to better results in coming years.
"We're doing a lot of work to improve them," he said. "It's truly an effort to make sure we're providing a rigorous curriculum for all students to make sure they're taking high level courses."
Students from Wauwatosa East High School did better overall than those from West, with an average score of 23.9 compared to 22.8. They also had a higher participation rate, at 78 percent, while West's rate was 72 percent.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Zoo Interchange ramp closing March 26-April 2
- Wauwatiki plans to bring Caribbean cuisine, cocktails to East Tosa
- Student writing contest entries due today
- Wauwatosa East students reeling from teacher's sudden resignation
- Wauwatosans lobby lawmakers for public education funding
- Wauwatosa police warn residents about buying fake iPhones
- Education Foundation of Wauwatosa donates $69,784 to district in 8 grants
- Washington Ranks among Healthier Counties in Wisconsin's Health Rankings
- Ask Now: Why is there only one westbound Watertown Plank Road lane leading to Highway 45 ramps?
- Cattywampus upcycling store in Wauwatosa makes vintage decor modern