Coming out ahead of the statewide average ACT score, but not showing improvement from previous years, Wauwatosa students scored a composite average of 23.4 this year on the curriculum-based college readiness test.
More Wauwatosa students took the test than ever before, according to Superintendent Phil Ertl, with 75 percent of students participating.
About 73 percent of Wisconsin high school graduates took the ACT. The average score statewide, 22.2, was the second highest in the nation, falling only behind Minnesota's average of 22.9.
Wauwatosa did not score in the top ten school districts in the metro area, which was led by Whitefish Bay with an average score of 26.72. The highest possible score is 36.
Wauwatosa students taking the test this year tied last year's score, but came in lightly lower than previous years since 2002.
Ertl said he was not concerned that the scores didn't improve. He thinks recent changes to the science curriculum, as well as the practice tests and tutoring sessions the district offers, will lead to better results in coming years.
"We're doing a lot of work to improve them," he said. "It's truly an effort to make sure we're providing a rigorous curriculum for all students to make sure they're taking high level courses."
Students from Wauwatosa East High School did better overall than those from West, with an average score of 23.9 compared to 22.8. They also had a higher participation rate, at 78 percent, while West's rate was 72 percent.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Vape Haven rejected by Common Council
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Sept. 18
- Wauwatosa West has 11 National Merit semifinalists; Tosa East shut out
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the basins in the County Ground never filled with water?
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Sept. 18
- Public Forum: E-cig rejection based on bias
- Thai-namite plans fall through in East Tosa
- Chili'n on the Ave. is Saturday
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Sept. 11
- Chinese students seek brighter futures in Wauwatosa