School Board President Michael Meier floated a recommendation Monday night that, if enacted, would have broad ramifications for high school life, affecting theater rehearsals, the newspaper group, study sessions and other evening activities.
He posed this question: "Should the board require that student activities such as practices, rehearsals, and working sessions end by 9:30 p.m., with students departed by 9:45 p.m.?"
Meier said he was trying to start a conversation and would listen to proposals on different times.
Board reaction was mixed.
"I don't think the board should get involved with this unless we have a specific number of complaints," said Phil Kroner.
Anne Fee concurred. "This is a solution in search of a problem," she said. She suggested the issue should be left at the school level.
Sharon Muehlfeld said she could see it as a board policy from a safety perspective, but she said she would need more information, such as what groups are there late? Under what circumstances would there be exceptions?
Mary Jo Randall agreed that more information had to be gathered by talking to the theater director, music teachers, the newspaper adviser and others.
Meier said he saw it as a matter for the board because time spent at school has an impact on family life. Also, he said, the adult world requires decision-making and time management, and putting a deadline on use of the building could encourage those lessons.
He said he would pursue it if parents expressed support.
Superintendent Phil Ertl was not present Monday night.
- Video: Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa endorses bus rapid transit route, more approvals needed (2)
- Wauwatosa officer fatally shoots man at Madison Park
- Wauwatosa Public Library announces list of summer events
- Blood drives scheduled for Milwaukee County during month of July
- Two lanes on Wauwatosa's Harmonee Bridge to close Thursday
- Milwaukee Co. Zoo welcomes baby harbor seal, bonobo
- East Tosa Gran Prix returns to Wauwatosa June 26
- Hidden Tosa: Inside the Wauwatosa Police Department
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?