School Board President Michael Meier floated a recommendation Monday night that, if enacted, would have broad ramifications for high school life, affecting theater rehearsals, the newspaper group, study sessions and other evening activities.
He posed this question: "Should the board require that student activities such as practices, rehearsals, and working sessions end by 9:30 p.m., with students departed by 9:45 p.m.?"
Meier said he was trying to start a conversation and would listen to proposals on different times.
Board reaction was mixed.
"I don't think the board should get involved with this unless we have a specific number of complaints," said Phil Kroner.
Anne Fee concurred. "This is a solution in search of a problem," she said. She suggested the issue should be left at the school level.
Sharon Muehlfeld said she could see it as a board policy from a safety perspective, but she said she would need more information, such as what groups are there late? Under what circumstances would there be exceptions?
Mary Jo Randall agreed that more information had to be gathered by talking to the theater director, music teachers, the newspaper adviser and others.
Meier said he saw it as a matter for the board because time spent at school has an impact on family life. Also, he said, the adult world requires decision-making and time management, and putting a deadline on use of the building could encourage those lessons.
He said he would pursue it if parents expressed support.
Superintendent Phil Ertl was not present Monday night.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What's up with the building at 7954 Harwood Ave.?
- Wauwatosa Business Notes: Oct. 15
- Boy Scout brings bocce ball court to Hart Park in Wauwatosa
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Notes: Oct. 15
- Public Forum: Police officers deserve support and thanks
- Wauwatosa fall leaf collection in progress
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Oct. 15
- Wauwatosa's Friends of Center Street Park to hold Fall Fest Oct. 17
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Oct. 15
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Oct. 19