The Wauwatosa School District reviewed a proposed 2013-14 school calendar that would have classes begin Sept. 3, the day after Labor Day, and end June 17, 2014.
With Easter 2014 falling late - April 20 - spring break would be the week preceding it, from April 14 to 18, instead of the more common week following Easter. Winter break would begin Dec. 23, with school resuming Jan. 2.
The planned calendar has 180 days of teaching. Including snow make-up days and teacher in-service days, there are 192 scheduled days in the calendar.
Elementary school conferences would be held Oct. 10 and 15. Middle school conferences would fall on Oct. 15 and 23, while high school conferences are scheduled for Oct. 17 and 22. All conferences are scheduled from 4:30 to 8 p.m.
New teachers would be welcomed, and mentors trained, beginning Aug. 19.
By state law, public school districts cannot begin school before Labor Day - an important weekend to tourism interests. At last week's school board meeting, Superintendent Phil Ertl expressed frustration at the requirement, as it reduces flexibility in setting the district's calendar.
The school board will take action on the calendar at its meeting Monday.
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: May 26
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: May 30
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: May 26
- Video: Reporter takes us along the 2016 Run Tosa Run
- Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Tips for finding the perfect bicycle
- Five biking routes to try in Wauwatosa and beyond this summer
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: May 19
- Campus News: May 19