A 50-year-old Milwaukee man didn't stand idly by when he saw an elderly woman robbed of her prescriptions outside Wheaton Franciscan-Wauwatosa, 201 N. Mayfair Road; he chased the man through multiple parking lots and down Mayfair road, flagging down cars and trying to stop him.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The suspected thief hit the woman in the arm and grabbed her prescription bag, later jumping from a 10-foot ledge and climbing over a barbed-wire fence while being pursued. A vehicle flagged down by the Milwaukee man joined the pursuit of the pill-filcher into the Super 8 parking lot, 115 N. Mayfair Road, where he eluded capture.
Police were able to identify the man from witness accounts and find his apartment. His friend was there and told police that the man had left to go to the hospital because he had a broken ankle.
The 36-year-old Milwaukee man was found and arrested at St. Mary's Hospital, 2301 N. Lake Drive in Milwaukee, at 11:13 a.m. Oct. 25.
The man admitted to taking the oxycodone pills and to having sold pills for $20 a piece to feed his kids. He said that he didn't know where the pills were, because he lost them in the chase.
Two anonymous people turned the victim's pills in shortly after the chase.
The woman wasn't injured.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Hundreds of Tosa residents experienced short power outage Aug. 27
- Wauwatosa Village valet service tentatively halted on Sundays
- Ask Now: Can parts of Milwaukee get annexed back into Wauwatosa?
- Wauwatosa School District filled a 'typical' 60 jobs this summer (1)
- Monarch advocates celebrate 10th year of releasing butterflies at County Grounds in Wauwatosa
- Disability advocates concerned about lack of housing in Wauwatosa
- Gay Ex-Wauwatosa police officer says she endured years of harassment, gets $77k settlement
- Wauwatosa's Diva Day brings shopping deals and business boosts
- Wauwatosa things to do: August 27
- Suspected pipe bomb draws neighborhood attention in Wauwatosa