A felony arrest warrant was issued Monday for a 41-year-old Milwaukee man who allegedly was involved in a retail theft that eventually resulted in a police chase last week.
According to a Wauwatosa Police Department report:
Employees at The Home Depot, 4100 N. 124th St., who recognized William Derrell Coney Jr. from his involvement in numerous thefts from Milwaukee area stores, saw him take three saws valued at $600 and walk out the store Thursday evening.
Coney ran to his vehicle at 6:58 p.m. and fled, but police caught up with him a few minutes later at 78th Street and Capitol Drive after he pulled into a nearby BP station. While an officer did briefly talk with him, Coney allegedly got back into his vehicle and took off, leading officers on a pursuit that lasted about 90 seconds and covered less than a mile before police terminated the chase at Melvin and 64th streets.
Later, police checked the area and located his vehicle, parked and unoccupied, with the three saws in the back. The car was seized and a crack pipe was found inside.
Coney has 26 prior arrests on his record. The district attorney issued a warrant Monday for retail theft and eluding an officer.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Dec. 3
- Wauwatosa firefighters captured on video battling car flames
- German retailer VOM FASS opens at Mayfair Mall
- Wauwatosa man involved in fatal Dane County crash
- Wauwatosa Holiday Happenings 2015
- Stone Creek Coffee looks to open Harwood Avenue location in Tosa
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Dec. 7
- Business Spotlight: Face time is the best time for photographer Stephanie Bartz
- Business Notes: Nov. 26
- Wauwatosa unveils convenient, affordable water online water bill payment options