The leader of a Wauwatosa-based organization working to provide athletic opportunities for people with disabilities has gotten Oprah's attention.
Damian Buchman, founder and executive director of The Ability Center, will appear on "Oprah's Lifeclass" at 7 p.m. on OWN.
Buchman, 33, responded to a question pertaining to karma posted on the talk show host's Facebook page in September. He gave a brief history of his life experiences as a two-time childhood cancer survivor.
He was diagnosed with osteosarcoma first in his right leg, then in his left during his teen years, a rarity in itself. To survive was almost unheard of. He said he "felt as though he knew firsthand, from a young age, what karma was all about."
Less than two hours after posting his response, a producer contacted Buchman for a phone interview. The following week, arrangements were made for him to take part in a "field trip" for tonight's episode and to be in the studio the following day.
Learn more about The Ability Center's plans to build an athletic facility and provide sports programming for people with disabilities at abilitycenterwi.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa West student fights through cerebral palsy to earn black belt
- Local pets receive blessing at Tosa Methodist church
- City committee approves TIF terms for Mayfair Road apartments
- Innovation Campus in Wauwatosa draws interest from universities
- Phase 2 Skateshop opens on State Street in Wauwatosa
- Ask Now: Why is toilet paper used in the repair of city streets?
- Weekly Planner: Oct. 2
- East Tosa BID plan rejected
- Man killed in rollover crash on Highway 45 in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Police Reports: Oct. 2