The leader of a Wauwatosa-based organization working to provide athletic opportunities for people with disabilities has gotten Oprah's attention.
Damian Buchman, founder and executive director of The Ability Center, will appear on "Oprah's Lifeclass" at 7 p.m. on OWN.
Buchman, 33, responded to a question pertaining to karma posted on the talk show host's Facebook page in September. He gave a brief history of his life experiences as a two-time childhood cancer survivor.
He was diagnosed with osteosarcoma first in his right leg, then in his left during his teen years, a rarity in itself. To survive was almost unheard of. He said he "felt as though he knew firsthand, from a young age, what karma was all about."
Less than two hours after posting his response, a producer contacted Buchman for a phone interview. The following week, arrangements were made for him to take part in a "field trip" for tonight's episode and to be in the studio the following day.
Learn more about The Ability Center's plans to build an athletic facility and provide sports programming for people with disabilities at abilitycenterwi.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Children's theater presents free performance of "The Frog Prince" tomorrow night
- Future Wauwatosa high school graduates face new science requirements
- Wauwatosa's Night Out celebrates 20th anniversary Aug. 5
- Wauwatosa responds to concerns about radiation from water meters
- State Fair highlights Wauwatosa businesses, crafts
- Ask Now: Do police officers still give out baseball cards?
- Wauwatosa's Hawaiian specialty store crowdfunds commercial kitchen
- Wisconsin's only texting-while-driving simulator, demonstrated in Wauwatosa, sobers distracted drive
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 31
- Biz Buzz: July 31