The leader of a Wauwatosa-based organization working to provide athletic opportunities for people with disabilities has gotten Oprah's attention.
Damian Buchman, founder and executive director of The Ability Center, will appear on "Oprah's Lifeclass" at 7 p.m. on OWN.
Buchman, 33, responded to a question pertaining to karma posted on the talk show host's Facebook page in September. He gave a brief history of his life experiences as a two-time childhood cancer survivor.
He was diagnosed with osteosarcoma first in his right leg, then in his left during his teen years, a rarity in itself. To survive was almost unheard of. He said he "felt as though he knew firsthand, from a young age, what karma was all about."
Less than two hours after posting his response, a producer contacted Buchman for a phone interview. The following week, arrangements were made for him to take part in a "field trip" for tonight's episode and to be in the studio the following day.
Learn more about The Ability Center's plans to build an athletic facility and provide sports programming for people with disabilities at abilitycenterwi.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Longfellow hosting Wauwatosa's Memorial Day ceremony Monday
- Wauwatosa Police Report: May 10-16
- Choice school, dry cleaning issues held for more discussion in Wauwatosa
- Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Highway 100? (2)
- Wauwatosa to take extra step vetting St. Camillus proposal for tallest building in city
- Yellow Wood will bring high-quality outdoors gear to Whitefish Bay
- Medical College plans expansion with demolition of building on Mayfair Road
- Wauwatosa approves conceptual design for pocket park on North Avenue (7)
- Wauwatosa School Board approves raises for teachers, administrators and staff
- Tosa Tonight releases lineup for summer concert series