The leader of a Wauwatosa-based organization working to provide athletic opportunities for people with disabilities has gotten Oprah's attention.
Damian Buchman, founder and executive director of The Ability Center, will appear on "Oprah's Lifeclass" at 7 p.m. on OWN.
Buchman, 33, responded to a question pertaining to karma posted on the talk show host's Facebook page in September. He gave a brief history of his life experiences as a two-time childhood cancer survivor.
He was diagnosed with osteosarcoma first in his right leg, then in his left during his teen years, a rarity in itself. To survive was almost unheard of. He said he "felt as though he knew firsthand, from a young age, what karma was all about."
Less than two hours after posting his response, a producer contacted Buchman for a phone interview. The following week, arrangements were made for him to take part in a "field trip" for tonight's episode and to be in the studio the following day.
Learn more about The Ability Center's plans to build an athletic facility and provide sports programming for people with disabilities at abilitycenterwi.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Large Wauwatosa oak tree cut down after storm damage
- Wauwatosa police will host OWI Task Force deployment
- Tosa author publishes children's book based on real life encounters with mouse
- Wauwatosa officers return to work after weeks of administrative leave following shooting death (2)
- Wauwatosa News IQ: Sept. 3
- Common council OKs addition of right turn lane at Burleigh Street onto Mayfair Road
- Tosa's Safe Routes to School unveils new safety features in high foot traffic areas
- Ask Now: Is there going to be a park and ride lot on Watertown Plank Road?
- Annual '10 Days in Tosa' promises dining steals, good eats
- In Brief: Sept. 3