A 42-year-old Wauwatosa woman has been charged with stealing more than $12,500 and dozens of recreational passes from the Waukesha office of the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.
Crystal L. Steiner was charged Feb. 27 in Waukesha County Circuit Court with felony business theft. If convicted, she could face up to 10 years in prison and $25,000 in fines.
According to the criminal complaint:
A detective with the Wisconsin State Capitol Police met with officials from the DNR on Sept. 7, 2012, to discuss an internal investigation into missing money.
Susan Rice, a section chief for the department, told the detective that Steiner was suspected of stealing money as well as trail passes, park stickers and park passes.
Steiner had been hired in January to work as a senior customer service representative at the DNR's satellite center, 141 W. Bastow St., Waukesha. She handled sales and was responsible for making daily bank deposits and maintaining financial records for the office.
She had been questioned about the missing money when it was discovered in August, 2012. She told supervisors she would look into it, but then quit without notice.
Also according to the complaint:
An audit performed by the department discovered that the office's financial records were in "total disarray." Credit card receipts were missing, and bank deposits were made irregularly. An inventory audit showed that 77 trail passes, 30 senior passes and 33 resident park passes were missing, altogether valued at $2,665.
A detective spoke with Steiner on May 1, 2013. She told police that she would sign bank slips and allow other employees to make deposits, though other employees refuted this.
She refused to answer questions about missing cash and requested an attorney.
- Wauwatosa Public Forum: Commercial vehicle parking ban is obsolete
- Wauwatosa Virtual Academy reports consistent enrollment numbers
- Irish Fest gears up for week of classes at Tosa's CelticMKE Center
- Tosa Skateboarders United hosts first event since opening of new park
- Friends of Center Street Park will launch new barbecue event July 3
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: June 30
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: June 30
- Video: Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa endorses bus rapid transit route, more approvals needed (4)
- Wauwatosa officer fatally shoots man at Madison Park