Wauwatosa received a $200,000 federal grant to help clean up contaminated properties, known as brownfields, to create opportunities for redevelopment within the city.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency grant dollars will be used to update the city's brownfields Geographic Information Systems database, perform environmental site assessments, prepare cleanup plans and target redevelopment corridors.
"Given the scarce grant funds available, the award is a vote of confidence from U.S. EPA that the city of Wauwatosa has successfully administered and expended its 2009 Brownfield Assessment Grants," Paulette Enders, city development director, said.
The EPA already has granted $400,000 to Wauwatosa. That money was used to test for contamination at sites including the former lumber mill/manufacturing facility at 69th and State streets, where PNC Bank is building a new branch, and at the long-vacant structure at 65th Street and North Avenue, which has been redeveloped into Home Solutions, a home maintenance and accessibility provider.
Wauwatosa was the only prior municipal grant recipient in Wisconsin that received assessment funding this round. There are a number of sites requiring assessment throughout the community, Enders said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Foreign officials take inspiration from Wauwatosa's Innovation Campus
- Wauwatosa council considers resolution opposing UW cuts
- Mount Mary students spruce up Wauwatosa businesses
- Wauwatosa approves athletic field renovation with increased costs
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 12-18
- Wisconsin Lutheran College gains Wauwatosa approval for parking structure, promises to sell houses
- Slinger man charged for posting nude Snapchat photo of Wauwatosa student (2)
- Wauwatosa entreprenuer crowdfunding ice cube dog treats (8)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: April 23
- Wauwatosa fire chief addresses threat of oil tanker derailment (1)