A man's call led police to arrest a 16-year-old Milwaukee boy who allegedly was selling boxes containing watches, batteries and coins as iPhones.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The man met up with the boy at McDonald's, 12324 W. North Ave., at 6 p.m. Jan. 13, thinking he was going to buy an iPhone for $220.
The boy asked to see the cash before letting the man open the box. The man forked over the money, and the boy dropped the box and ran out of the store.
The man opened the box and much to his dismay, AAA batteries sat in place of his would-be iPhone.
He gave police the boy's cellphone number, physical description and information about the exchange. He described the boy as 6 feet tall, skinny, and having dreadlocks.
Officers went to McDonald's on Jan. 17 to collect video surveillance footage of the incident and noticed a 6-foot-tall skinny boy with long dreadlocks and two iPhone boxes.
They asked the boy what he was doing, to which he replied selling iPhones via Craigslist. The boy said the buyer wasn't interested because he wanted to see what was in the boxes before handing any cash over.
Officers looked in the boxes and found AAA batteries, coins and wrist watches. They arrested him.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Hundreds of Tosa residents experienced short power outage Aug. 27
- Wauwatosa Village valet service tentatively halted on Sundays
- Ask Now: Can parts of Milwaukee get annexed back into Wauwatosa?
- Wauwatosa School District filled a 'typical' 60 jobs this summer (1)
- Monarch advocates celebrate 10th year of releasing butterflies at County Grounds in Wauwatosa
- Disability advocates concerned about lack of housing in Wauwatosa
- Gay Ex-Wauwatosa police officer says she endured years of harassment, gets $77k settlement
- Wauwatosa's Diva Day brings shopping deals and business boosts
- Wauwatosa things to do: August 27
- Suspected pipe bomb draws neighborhood attention in Wauwatosa