A man's call led police to arrest a 16-year-old Milwaukee boy who allegedly was selling boxes containing watches, batteries and coins as iPhones.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The man met up with the boy at McDonald's, 12324 W. North Ave., at 6 p.m. Jan. 13, thinking he was going to buy an iPhone for $220.
The boy asked to see the cash before letting the man open the box. The man forked over the money, and the boy dropped the box and ran out of the store.
The man opened the box and much to his dismay, AAA batteries sat in place of his would-be iPhone.
He gave police the boy's cellphone number, physical description and information about the exchange. He described the boy as 6 feet tall, skinny, and having dreadlocks.
Officers went to McDonald's on Jan. 17 to collect video surveillance footage of the incident and noticed a 6-foot-tall skinny boy with long dreadlocks and two iPhone boxes.
They asked the boy what he was doing, to which he replied selling iPhones via Craigslist. The boy said the buyer wasn't interested because he wanted to see what was in the boxes before handing any cash over.
Officers looked in the boxes and found AAA batteries, coins and wrist watches. They arrested him.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Longfellow hosting Wauwatosa's Memorial Day ceremony Monday
- Wauwatosa Police Report: May 10-16 (1)
- Choice school, dry cleaning issues held for more discussion in Wauwatosa
- Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Highway 100? (2)
- Wauwatosa to take extra step vetting St. Camillus proposal for tallest building in city
- Yellow Wood will bring high-quality outdoors gear to Whitefish Bay
- Medical College plans expansion with demolition of building on Mayfair Road
- Wauwatosa approves conceptual design for pocket park on North Avenue (9)
- Wauwatosa School Board approves raises for teachers, administrators and staff
- Tosa Tonight releases lineup for summer concert series