The Tosa Farmers Market has instituted an immediate ban on dogs from the marketplace following a few incidents of dogs fighting each other.
Two dogs have been injured in separate encounters, market manager Becca Kitelinger said.
She said the policy was needed for the safety of customers, vendors, and the dogs themselves. No people have been injured.
Kitelinger would not describe the incidents.
"We really really had to put this in place," she said of the ban. "It's a safety issue for eveybody involved. We don't want anybody to get hurt, puppies included."
The market had recently instituted a dog policy requiring the animals to be kept on short leashes, together with other common-sense considerations such as cleaning up immediately after dogs and keeping them away from produce tables. The policy was available on the market web site and was passed out at the market.
"We were working on some signage, actually — ironically — to put up as well, but we've put that on hold now that we decided to institute the ban," she said.
Kitelinger said the market was publicizing the ban online and in other ways. Those who arrive at market with dogs will be asked to take the dogs away.
In related news, Kitelinger, who is in her third season as manager, is leaving the position. A new market manager — Katie Hassemer — was hired to fill the position.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Leff's Lucky Town in Wauwatosa considers kitchen expansion (1)
- Walker plans to file for president today
- Driver ejected from car after hitting tree in Wauwatosa (3)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: July 2
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?
- Monarch habitat on the mend in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Police Report: June 21-27 (1)
- Wauwatosa native reflects on time in Afghanistan, Sudan
- Residents who live and work in Wauwatosa will be set back during the bus strike
- Wauwatosa detective home from hospital after shooting