The Tosa Farmers Market has instituted an immediate ban on dogs from the marketplace following a few incidents of dogs fighting each other.
Two dogs have been injured in separate encounters, market manager Becca Kitelinger said.
She said the policy was needed for the safety of customers, vendors, and the dogs themselves. No people have been injured.
Kitelinger would not describe the incidents.
"We really really had to put this in place," she said of the ban. "It's a safety issue for eveybody involved. We don't want anybody to get hurt, puppies included."
The market had recently instituted a dog policy requiring the animals to be kept on short leashes, together with other common-sense considerations such as cleaning up immediately after dogs and keeping them away from produce tables. The policy was available on the market web site and was passed out at the market.
"We were working on some signage, actually — ironically — to put up as well, but we've put that on hold now that we decided to institute the ban," she said.
Kitelinger said the market was publicizing the ban online and in other ways. Those who arrive at market with dogs will be asked to take the dogs away.
In related news, Kitelinger, who is in her third season as manager, is leaving the position. A new market manager — Katie Hassemer — was hired to fill the position.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Business Spotlight: Face time is the best time for photographer Stephanie Bartz
- Business Notes: Nov. 26
- Wauwatosa unveils convenient, affordable water online water bill payment options
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Nov. 26
- Wauwatosa girl scouts help feed the hungry this Thanksgiving
- Ask Now: Why the fancy drain at Hart Park? (2)
- In Brief: Nov. 26
- Wauwatosa library announces campaign to give students study space
- In our schools
- Wauwatosa school board hears proposals for new course offerings