Topper's Pizza wants to move into the shopping center at 68th and State streets, but a few members of the Plan Commission on Monday questioned its late operating hours.
Restaurant management has asked to operate from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 a.m. daily. While orders are placed primarily for delivery or carry out, there will be some seating inside and outside the restaurant. Like for other businesses in the Village Business Improvement District, outdoor seating would be stopped at 11 p.m.
Alderwoman and commission member Kathy Causier voiced concerns about allowing a business to stay open until 3:30 a.m., when most others must close by 2:30 a.m.
"Are we treading into a precedent of allowing really late closing times for our businesses in the Village?" she asked.
Commissioner Jody Lowe, who lives in the neighborhood, wondered if Toppers wouldn't draw the after bartime crowd. However, she was encouraged to see Topper's opening in Wauwatosa.
"That's a great brand name for that shopping center," Lowe said.
The pizza business would occupy the PNC Bank, which is building a new facility on the next block. Façade improvements have received approval from the city's Design Review Board.
The commission voted - with Causier opposed - to allow the conditional use. The request must go to the Community Development Committee on June 26.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Village valet service tentatively halted on Sundays
- Ask Now: Can parts of Milwaukee get annexed back into Wauwatosa?
- Wauwatosa School District filled a 'typical' 60 jobs this summer (1)
- Monarch advocates celebrate 10th year of releasing butterflies at County Grounds in Wauwatosa
- Disability advocates concerned about lack of housing in Wauwatosa
- Gay Ex-Wauwatosa police officer says she endured years of harassment, gets $77k settlement
- Wauwatosa's Diva Day brings shopping deals and business boosts
- Wauwatosa things to do: August 27
- Suspected pipe bomb draws neighborhood attention in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa School District mobile app now available for download