Topper's Pizza wants to move into the shopping center at 68th and State streets, but a few members of the Plan Commission on Monday questioned its late operating hours.
Restaurant management has asked to operate from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 a.m. daily. While orders are placed primarily for delivery or carry out, there will be some seating inside and outside the restaurant. Like for other businesses in the Village Business Improvement District, outdoor seating would be stopped at 11 p.m.
Alderwoman and commission member Kathy Causier voiced concerns about allowing a business to stay open until 3:30 a.m., when most others must close by 2:30 a.m.
"Are we treading into a precedent of allowing really late closing times for our businesses in the Village?" she asked.
Commissioner Jody Lowe, who lives in the neighborhood, wondered if Toppers wouldn't draw the after bartime crowd. However, she was encouraged to see Topper's opening in Wauwatosa.
"That's a great brand name for that shopping center," Lowe said.
The pizza business would occupy the PNC Bank, which is building a new facility on the next block. Façade improvements have received approval from the city's Design Review Board.
The commission voted - with Causier opposed - to allow the conditional use. The request must go to the Community Development Committee on June 26.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Longfellow hosting Wauwatosa's Memorial Day ceremony Monday
- Wauwatosa Police Report: May 10-16 (1)
- Choice school, dry cleaning issues held for more discussion in Wauwatosa
- Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Highway 100? (2)
- Wauwatosa to take extra step vetting St. Camillus proposal for tallest building in city
- Yellow Wood will bring high-quality outdoors gear to Whitefish Bay
- Medical College plans expansion with demolition of building on Mayfair Road
- Wauwatosa approves conceptual design for pocket park on North Avenue (9)
- Wauwatosa School Board approves raises for teachers, administrators and staff
- Tosa Tonight releases lineup for summer concert series