Topper's Pizza wants to move into the shopping center at 68th and State streets, but a few members of the Plan Commission on Monday questioned its late operating hours.
Restaurant management has asked to operate from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 a.m. daily. While orders are placed primarily for delivery or carry out, there will be some seating inside and outside the restaurant. Like for other businesses in the Village Business Improvement District, outdoor seating would be stopped at 11 p.m.
Alderwoman and commission member Kathy Causier voiced concerns about allowing a business to stay open until 3:30 a.m., when most others must close by 2:30 a.m.
"Are we treading into a precedent of allowing really late closing times for our businesses in the Village?" she asked.
Commissioner Jody Lowe, who lives in the neighborhood, wondered if Toppers wouldn't draw the after bartime crowd. However, she was encouraged to see Topper's opening in Wauwatosa.
"That's a great brand name for that shopping center," Lowe said.
The pizza business would occupy the PNC Bank, which is building a new facility on the next block. Façade improvements have received approval from the city's Design Review Board.
The commission voted - with Causier opposed - to allow the conditional use. The request must go to the Community Development Committee on June 26.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Foreign officials take inspiration from Wauwatosa's Innovation Campus
- Wauwatosa council considers resolution opposing UW cuts
- Mount Mary students spruce up Wauwatosa businesses
- Wauwatosa approves athletic field renovation with increased costs
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 12-18
- Wisconsin Lutheran College gains Wauwatosa approval for parking structure, promises to sell houses
- Slinger man charged for posting nude Snapchat photo of Wauwatosa student (2)
- Wauwatosa entreprenuer crowdfunding ice cube dog treats (8)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: April 23
- Wauwatosa fire chief addresses threat of oil tanker derailment (1)