A naked and crying toddler wandered into a hotel lobby after his mother left to buy cigarettes and snacks Wednesday night.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The 19-year-old mother, her boyfriend and a friend checked in with the child at the Days Inn, 11811 W. Bluemound Road.
A while later, the adults left, a hotel employee told officers.
Within 20 minutes of his mother leaving, the 2-year-old boy came into the lobby. Seeing he was naked, employees found towels to wrap him in.
When the mother returned, she said she had only been gone for five minutes, having made a quick trip to a nearby gas station. Her son was sleeping when she left, so she thought he would not notice she had gone.
The employee estimated the mother's time out of the hotel at 40 minutes.
Police contacted the Bureau of Child Welfare. The toddler seemed unharmed.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- In Brief: Eisenhower resale seeks sellers
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is it Blue Mound or Bluemound?
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Feb. 4
- Wauwatosa News IQ: Feb. 4
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Feb. 8
- Video: Wauwatosa man makes 'miracle' recovery after dying for 8 minutes (2)
- Wauwatosa Public Forum: Council mistaken in not funding Center Street Park
- Wauwatosa officials could soon participate in meetings via computer
- Work at State Street Station in Wauwatosa has neighbors rattled (5)
- Wauwatosa students win dozens of awards from Alliance for Young Artists & Writers