· Steps toward strengthening the position of American and allied troops in Northern Russia as a preliminary to their safe withdrawal in the near future are under way at the direction of the supreme war council. Secretary Baker transmitting this information from President Wilson said all the American soldiers should be out of Russia this spring.
· Special Fathers' Day services will be held at the Baptist Church next Sunday morning. A special invitation is extended to every man of the church and congregation. The pastor will speak on "A Man's Job."
· On March 16, the Board of Public Works will conduct a public hearing for residents who wish to express opinions on the 1948 tree planting program. Two hundred thirty trees are slated to be planted in various sections of the city, and the hearing is being called because the cost of planting the trees, at $8.85 per tree, will be assessed to benefited property owners.
· An old-fashioned square dance will be held at the Hawthorn junior high school gymnasium on Saturday from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Margo Merhoff's orchestra will play, and Mel Schoeckert will do the calling for the dances, which are sponsored by the recreation department.
· Rival signs are posted at a home at a busy corner: There's a difference of opinion between two members of the same family, that's why. At a main intersection in Wauwatosa, there's a large sign "Meier for Mayor." Nailed to trees on either side are other signs that read, "Eckhardt for Mayor." The husband gave one candidate's workers permission to erect his sign. The wife gave the other candidate's workers permission to erect his sign.
· Wauwatosa adult school enrollment during the year reached almost 50 percent of the number of young people in the public school system. Many of the courses offered are of types that enable homemakers to ease the burden on the home budget, such as cooking classes, sewing, upholstering and hat making.
Anthony Aveni compiles this weekly column using Wauwatosa Historical Society archives. Contact him at email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Leff's Lucky Town in Wauwatosa considers kitchen expansion (1)
- Walker plans to file for president today
- Driver ejected from car after hitting tree in Wauwatosa (3)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: July 2
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?
- Monarch habitat on the mend in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Police Report: June 21-27 (1)
- Wauwatosa native reflects on time in Afghanistan, Sudan
- Residents who live and work in Wauwatosa will be set back during the bus strike
- Wauwatosa detective home from hospital after shooting