A change drawer with $600 in it was taken from Baskin-Robbins, 1417 Wauwatosa Ave. at 10:57 a.m. Sept. 7.
According to a police report:
The manager was opening the store alone and closed the change safe but did not lock it using the key.
After unlocking the back door's deadbolt, she went to the bathroom. That's when a man entered the back door, went directly to the change drawer and took it without taking anything else. He was in and out in 27 seconds.
The manager didn't notice the money was gone until the store owner asked her for change later in the day.
Normally the handle to the back door is locked but it wasn't during the time of the theft.
Police believe the manager was being watched due to the timing of the theft. The theft is still under investigation.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa columnist Peggy Dean, in her own words
- Man arrested for heroin possession at Best Buy in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa business Not Just Nuts closed after owner's death
- Wauwatosa's Montessori school will expand to serve middle-school grades
- Not Just Nuts closed, building owner looking for new tenant
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Aug. 21
- Artificial turf installed at Wauwatosa's Whitman Middle School soccer field
- Biz Buzz: Phase 2 Skateshop; Twirly Birds
- Twirly Birds vintage and hand-craft store moves to Waukesha
- Paving complete on North Avenue