A change drawer with $600 in it was taken from Baskin-Robbins, 1417 Wauwatosa Ave. at 10:57 a.m. Sept. 7.
According to a police report:
The manager was opening the store alone and closed the change safe but did not lock it using the key.
After unlocking the back door's deadbolt, she went to the bathroom. That's when a man entered the back door, went directly to the change drawer and took it without taking anything else. He was in and out in 27 seconds.
The manager didn't notice the money was gone until the store owner asked her for change later in the day.
Normally the handle to the back door is locked but it wasn't during the time of the theft.
Police believe the manager was being watched due to the timing of the theft. The theft is still under investigation.
- Video: Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa endorses bus rapid transit route, more approvals needed (2)
- Wauwatosa officer fatally shoots man at Madison Park
- Wauwatosa Public Library announces list of summer events
- Blood drives scheduled for Milwaukee County during month of July
- Two lanes on Wauwatosa's Harmonee Bridge to close Thursday
- Milwaukee Co. Zoo welcomes baby harbor seal, bonobo
- East Tosa Gran Prix returns to Wauwatosa June 26
- Hidden Tosa: Inside the Wauwatosa Police Department
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?