A change drawer with $600 in it was taken from Baskin-Robbins, 1417 Wauwatosa Ave. at 10:57 a.m. Sept. 7.
According to a police report:
The manager was opening the store alone and closed the change safe but did not lock it using the key.
After unlocking the back door's deadbolt, she went to the bathroom. That's when a man entered the back door, went directly to the change drawer and took it without taking anything else. He was in and out in 27 seconds.
The manager didn't notice the money was gone until the store owner asked her for change later in the day.
Normally the handle to the back door is locked but it wasn't during the time of the theft.
Police believe the manager was being watched due to the timing of the theft. The theft is still under investigation.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: What is being built at Hart Park?
- Bob Simi, new director at Milwaukee Regional Medical Center, sees opportunities for development
- How 205 immigrants became citizens at the State Fair Park last week
- Newly designed NICU at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin creates homelike environment
- Wauwatosa breaks out its holiday cheer
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Nov. 27
- Ethnic foods unite Eisenhower fifth-graders for pre-Thanksgiving feast
- Found in possession of stolen jewelry, Wauwatosa's Gold Emporium could lose license
- Ice skating to return to Center Street Park on Wauwatosa border after decades away
- U.S. Naval Academy midshipman educates young minds at Our Redeemer Lutheran School