Butterflies, local history and technology all come together as part of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee's Innovation Park project.
The name of the road that connects Watertown Plank Road and Swan Boulevard on the site should reflect those components said members of the city's Community Development Committee on Tuesday. They're looking suggestions from the public to find an alternative to the street that the Board of Public Works previously approved as Technology Parkway.
"That name is so common that it could be in any development or any research park in the country," Alderman Jason Wilke said.
With a little thought, a more innovative name could be found that reflects more than just the science and technology activities that will occur on the campus, he said. He threw out "Monarch Pass," to showcase the commitment to preserving the butterfly habitat; or "Exploratory Drive" to encompass science and nature.
The name was an attempt to bridge those aspects, said Paulette Enders, city economic development director.
"The 'technology' and the 'parkway' were an attempt to bring those two together," she said.
The UWM Real Estate Foundation prefers the Technology Parkway name, Curt Stang, chief operating officer of foundation, said. That was good enough for Alderman Don Birschel.
"I'll leave it up to UWM," he said. "They're the guys that are going to put it all together."
If there isn't much opposition or interesting options the Technology Parkway name could still stick, committee members said.
The Common Council has the final determination when it comes to naming public streets and it's been awhile since it has had the opportunity. Committee members decided to hold off on a recommendation for two weeks for the Wauwatosa Historical Society time to research the historical significance of the land and field some suggestions from city residents.
"It's worth taking the time to come up with something unique for this site," Wilke said.
To suggest a street name, send submissions to reporter Stefanie Scott at firstname.lastname@example.org by Feb. 23 and the ideas will be provided to the committee.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Foreign officials take inspiration from Wauwatosa's Innovation Campus
- Wauwatosa council considers resolution opposing UW cuts
- Mount Mary students spruce up Wauwatosa businesses
- Wauwatosa approves athletic field renovation with increased costs
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 12-18
- Wisconsin Lutheran College gains Wauwatosa approval for parking structure, promises to sell houses
- Slinger man charged for posting nude Snapchat photo of Wauwatosa student (2)
- Wauwatosa entreprenuer crowdfunding ice cube dog treats (8)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: April 23
- Wauwatosa fire chief addresses threat of oil tanker derailment (1)