Long before a certain presidential election introduced us to the infamous hanging chad, Teuteberg Inc., was printing the forms that led to the flap.
"Well, not those forms," owner and president Matt Teuteberg said, quickly distancing himself from the 2004 fracas.
But those types of forms, along with carbonless invoice sheets and other documents, were the foundation for the company his father Henry R. "Hank" Teuteberg started in 1976.
The company has evolved since it moved from Menomonee Falls to Wauwatosa almost 20 years ago.
Today, Teuteberg said, "We are a one-stop company if you want direct marketing, email, direct mail, global marketing, business forms and labels."
Their calendars aren't bad either, at least according to the Calendar Marketing Association, which recognized Teuteberg, Inc., in May with two awards for most creative marketing and most original design.
"It was a pretty big deal. We were pretty surprised that we did so well," Teuteberg said.
The winning flip-style desk calendars were made for casinos that wanted personalized gifts for VIP clientele. The calendars, which are each printed with a player's name, have become unexpected keepsakes.
"They just think it's so clever and cute. It's simple, but it's powerful," Teuteberg said.
And with 100,000 to 150,000 calendars rolling out the door each year, they're something that Teuteberg hopes could become as much of a staple for the 40-employee company as those chad-dangling computer punch cards once were.
"We enjoy serving the customer and making a difference in their business. That's one of our core philosophies," Teuteberg said.
Whatever other products and services the company embraces in the future, Teuteberg said, he wants to hold fast to those principles, which his father, who died three years ago, used to build the company.
"All that he did when he started the company has propelled us to where we are today," he said.
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an email to email@example.com or call (262) 446-6643.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: Teuteberg Inc.
ADDRESS: 12200 W. Worth St.
OWNER: Matt Teuteberg
TYPE OF BUSINESS: printing
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "We enjoy serving the customer and making a difference in their business."
- Business Spotlight: For Loriena Harrington, the land kept calling her back
- Colonel Hart's is a bar that will make you feel like family
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: At Legacy Gym, it's not just about abs
- Business Spotlight: The Wauwatosa Historical Society keeps up to date with the past
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Chiropractor found his way by a fortunate accident
- Business Spotlight: On a quest for good brews, they found a World of Beer
- Business Spotlight: Jenny Kyle Smith hits the sweet spot after years of struggle
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Kirchen's Car Sick Art is more art than cars
- Business Spotlight: Wauwatosa-based Irish Fest Center does more than put on a summer festival
- Business Spotlight: Sheeley Service puts the zip in your beverage of choice
- Business Spotlight: Face time is the best time for photographer Stephanie Bartz
- Dog trainer finds it's people who need aid
- Business Spotlight: Russ Drover finds beauty in the original
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: When he left the corporate world, he made new arrangements
- Business Spotlight: For Ruckus & Glee toy store in Wauwatosa, it's all about play
- Block Legal Services opens in Wauwatosa
- Business Spotlight: Guitarist Kirk Tatnall plays — and passes it along
- Business Spotlight: Seeking contact with life, Tom Gill found drumming
- Business Spotlight: Jonathon Leubner heard music calling and followed it
- Business Spotlight: Ray's takes its music, and its wine, seriously