A Wauwatosa police officer used a stun gun on a man who was stopped for questioning for an incident he was determined not to be involved with earlier this month.
According to a police report:
Two female students at Wauwatosa West High School said a man was on school property staring at them about 3:30 p.m. Dec. 1. Based on the man's description and direction he was seen heading, an officer pulled up to a man walking near Best Buy on Mayfair Road and asked to talk to him.
The 21-year-old Milwaukee man wouldn't stop for the officer, who eventually jogged up to the suspect and grabbed him by the arm. The man pulled away and told the officer not to touch him.
The officer ordered him to the ground. The man failed to comply; instead he spun around and angrily yelled at the officer, so the officer used his stun gun. It struck the suspect's left side, but there was no physical reaction so he struck him in the knee and put him in a headlock, taking him to the ground.
A search of the suspect turned up an ID and showed he was not the man they had been looking for, however the tussle ended in the suspect being arrested for resisting.
He told police he didn't think he had to give his name and stop for an officer based on what he'd learned in criminal justice class.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Aug. 23-29
- 10 Days in Tosa offers map to participating restaurants
- Large Wauwatosa oak tree cut down after storm damage
- Wauwatosa police will host OWI Task Force deployment
- Tosa author publishes children's book based on real life encounters with mouse
- Wauwatosa officers return to work after weeks of administrative leave following shooting death (2)
- Wauwatosa News IQ: Sept. 3
- Common council OKs addition of right turn lane at Burleigh Street onto Mayfair Road
- Tosa's Safe Routes to School unveils new safety features in high foot traffic areas (1)
- Ask Now: Is there going to be a park and ride lot on Watertown Plank Road?