A Wauwatosa homeowner received an unexpected request at 6:24 p.m. Dec. 3. A man asked him if he could look through the backyard for marijuana he was hiding from police, according to a Wauwatosa police report.
Also from the report:
The homeowner saw an SUV and a squad car sitting outside his house in the 2500 block of North 65th Street and, thinking nothing of it, he ignored it and sat down.
His doorbell rang. He went to investigate and, seeing no one outside, sat down again. About five minutes later, the bell rang again.
Thinking something was up, the man went to his backyard to find a man looking through his window. He walked out and confronted the man, asking what he was doing in his backyard.
The doorbell-ringer said he was looking for his wallet and started walking toward the street. He got about halfway to the street when he turned around and admitted the truth: He was looking for the weed he had hidden from police.
Now concerned, the homeowner said he'd help the man find his marijuana so he can get it off his property. He gave the man a flashlight and told him to find the weed and leave.
While the man was looking for the marijuana, the SUV he had seen earlier showed up. The weed-searcher said he'd pay the homeowner $1,000 to tell the SUV driver to leave or he'd call the police.
Fed up with the stranger's antics, the man went into his home and called the police. The SUV and the weed-searcher's vehicle circled the block a few times, the homeowner's doorbell was rung a few more times, and then the people left.
Police did not find the marijuana or any suspects.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Feb. 11
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Feb. 15
- In Brief: Eisenhower resale seeks sellers
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is it Blue Mound or Bluemound? (1)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Feb. 4
- Wauwatosa News IQ: Feb. 4
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Feb. 8
- Video: Wauwatosa man makes 'miracle' recovery after dying for 8 minutes (3)
- Wauwatosa Public Forum: Council mistaken in not funding Center Street Park
- Wauwatosa officials could soon participate in meetings via computer