Blood donors and blood drive organizers canceled many appointments yesterday, and the BloodCenter of Wisconsin now estimates there will be a shortfall of more than 1,000 units of blood over the next few days, the organization announced in a news release.
BloodCenter is asking that anyone who is able to safely keep a scheduled donation appointment do so. Appointments are available for Saturday, Sunday and Monday for those who want to help.
Call (877) 232-4376 or visit Bcw.edu/snow.
The Wauwatosa BloodCenter donation location, 8733 Watertown Plank Road, has extended its hours until 3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 22, in hopes of meeting the need.
Because platelets are critically important, the Wauwatosa location also will be open by appointment only for platelet donors on Sunday, Dec. 23.
All blood types are needed, but there is a particular need for type O Negative blood, as well as platelets. O negative is the universal blood type that is used in emergency rooms and on Flight for Life. Platelets are critically important because they help cancer patients or trauma patients recovering from life-threatening injuries.
- Wauwatosa Business Notes: May 26
- Wauwatosa officer rescues seven ducklings trapped in storm sewer
- Wauwatosa Public Forum: Remember the fallen; voting in schools
- Wauwatosa Police Report: May 15 - 21
- Wauwatosa School Notes: May 26
- Wauwatosa In Our Schools: May 26
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: May 26
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: May 30
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: May 26
- Video: Reporter takes us along the 2016 Run Tosa Run