A 26-year-old man Milwaukee found in possession of three counterfeit $100 bills is under investigation by the U.S. Secret Service.
According to a Wauwatosa Police Department report:
Staff at the Radisson Hotel on Mayfair Road notified police after getting a complaint of a loud party coming from a guest room at 8:38 p.m. Saturday. Participants were told to leave the hotel, but the man was stopped because he had a warrant for driving after his license had been revoked.
He was found to have counterfeit money on him, so he was held in custody until Secret Service special agent could arrive at the police station to inspect the money and interview him.
The Secret Service is concerned with the significant increase in counterfeit U.S. currency being paid to Milwaukee area businesses. The special agent already interviewed the same suspect a year ago in connection with a counterfeiting offense. At that time, the man was found in possession of numerous counterfeit $10 bills.
The man said he came into possession of the $100 bills at an unknown Milwaukee nightclub, when someone started throwing money into the air while he was on the dance floor.
On Monday, the district attorney decided to hold off on issuing any charges until the special agent issued a report on the findings of his investigation.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa's Lady in Red reopens as Nikki's Boutique after remodel
- 'Tarzan' takes flight at Wauwatosa East
- Tosa Recreation Dept. to hold textile recycling event
- Exactly 175 years ago, Wauwatosa became a town (3)
- Wauwatosa News IQ: April 30
- Milwaukee teens charged for armed robbery in Mayfair bathroom
- Parents raise conflict of interest concerns about Wauwatosa School Board member (20)
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: April 30
- In Our Schools: April 30
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Chiropractor says it's not just about the spine