Salon Lumoni looks to be premier spot for updos
Owner comes prepped with decade of experience
Nedret Lumani realized a childhood dream earlier this month, parlaying a decade's worth of cosmetology experience into the launch of her own business: Salon Lumani.
The Wauwatosa-based, unisex salon offers hair, makeup and body waxing treatments, plus wedding services that include updo styling - a function that Lumani anticipates will fill a niche market.
"While there's other salons in the area that perform updos, our salon's goal is to specialize in them," said Lumani, whose won numerous national and local awards for her cosmetology skills, most notably taking first place in the Midwest Hair Competition for cuts, color and updos. "Hopefully, we'll establish a reputation in the community as the premier salon for updos, makeup and waxing services that cater to wedding parties."
To drum up business, Lumani set up shop at a well-traveled, high-visibility location on the corner of North Avenue and 124th Street and created a Facebook page. The salon, which takes appointments or walk-in customers, also offers complimentary consultations and is currently running a special discount for first-time clients: $10 off any haircut and $5 off their next haircut, if the appointment is booked on the same day.
Despite the challenges of conducting business in today's economy, Lumani is confident in her startup's future.
"Even before I attended beauty school, family and friends spotted my knack for cosmetology at a young age, so I'm anxious to apply what I've learned to date at my own store," said Lumani, whose résumé includes hair and makeup services for Channel 6, fashion shows and fashion photo shoots for Milwaukee Magazine, as well as salon education at beauty schools. "I've always liked the Wauwatosa area, so it's very exciting to be a part of this business community. I'm confident that word will spread about our services and that consumers will appreciate our upscale, Aveda concept salon."
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an e-mail to email@example.com or call (262) 446-6643.
JUST THE FACTS
Business name: Salon Lumani
Address: 2336 N. 124th St., Wauwatosa, WI
Owner: Nedret Lumani
Type of business: Hair Salon
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Business Spotlight: Jenny Kyle Smith hits the sweet spot after years of struggle
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Kirchen's Car Sick Art is more art than cars
- Business Spotlight: Wauwatosa-based Irish Fest Center does more than put on a summer festival
- Business Spotlight: Sheeley Service puts the zip in your beverage of choice
- Business Spotlight: Face time is the best time for photographer Stephanie Bartz
- Dog trainer finds it's people who need aid
- Business Spotlight: Russ Drover finds beauty in the original
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: When he left the corporate world, he made new arrangements
- Business Spotlight: For Ruckus & Glee toy store in Wauwatosa, it's all about play
- Block Legal Services opens in Wauwatosa
- Business Spotlight: Guitarist Kirk Tatnall plays — and passes it along
- Business Spotlight: Seeking contact with life, Tom Gill found drumming
- Business Spotlight: Jonathon Leubner heard music calling and followed it
- Business Spotlight: Ray's takes its music, and its wine, seriously
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: From a personal quest to a rug store in Tosa
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Bavaria, relatively new, harkens to the old world
- Business Spotlight: From 'bowling ball' to fitness trainer, Tony Becker's been there
- Business Spotlight: Incentive Gallery, without inventory, delivers the perfect thing
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Cafe Blue takes pleasure in providing simple pleasures
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Alicia Haugen, mom and designer, got into social media early