Salon Lumoni looks to be premier spot for updos
Owner comes prepped with decade of experience
Nedret Lumani realized a childhood dream earlier this month, parlaying a decade's worth of cosmetology experience into the launch of her own business: Salon Lumani.
The Wauwatosa-based, unisex salon offers hair, makeup and body waxing treatments, plus wedding services that include updo styling - a function that Lumani anticipates will fill a niche market.
"While there's other salons in the area that perform updos, our salon's goal is to specialize in them," said Lumani, whose won numerous national and local awards for her cosmetology skills, most notably taking first place in the Midwest Hair Competition for cuts, color and updos. "Hopefully, we'll establish a reputation in the community as the premier salon for updos, makeup and waxing services that cater to wedding parties."
To drum up business, Lumani set up shop at a well-traveled, high-visibility location on the corner of North Avenue and 124th Street and created a Facebook page. The salon, which takes appointments or walk-in customers, also offers complimentary consultations and is currently running a special discount for first-time clients: $10 off any haircut and $5 off their next haircut, if the appointment is booked on the same day.
Despite the challenges of conducting business in today's economy, Lumani is confident in her startup's future.
"Even before I attended beauty school, family and friends spotted my knack for cosmetology at a young age, so I'm anxious to apply what I've learned to date at my own store," said Lumani, whose résumé includes hair and makeup services for Channel 6, fashion shows and fashion photo shoots for Milwaukee Magazine, as well as salon education at beauty schools. "I've always liked the Wauwatosa area, so it's very exciting to be a part of this business community. I'm confident that word will spread about our services and that consumers will appreciate our upscale, Aveda concept salon."
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (262) 446-6643.
JUST THE FACTS
Business name: Salon Lumani
Address: 2336 N. 124th St., Wauwatosa, WI
Owner: Nedret Lumani
Type of business: Hair Salon
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Alicia Haugen, mom and designer, got into social media early
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: At Hoppe Tree Service, listening may be the most important thing
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Chiropractor says it's not just about the spine
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Daly's is helping to bring the fountain pen back
- Business Spotlight: Spring is here and gardens are blooming
- Business Spotlight: Empire Fish
- Business Spotlight: The Lutheran Home & Harwood Place
- Business Spotlight: Valentine business partners found coffee kept calling them back
- Business Spotlight: Running a remodeling company no strain in family-owned business
- Business Spotlight: The Malt Shoppe isn't selling milk shakes
- Midtown Dental Care is 'home-like' for new and long-term patients
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Gigi's satisfies even the biggest craving for cupcakes
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Therapist finds himself enriched by a life shaped by transitions
- Business Spotlight: Milwaukee Map surveys the world from a small store near you
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight Yoga instructor practiced the art before it was all the rage
- Business Spotlight: Alfa Flower shop weathered some tough years, and has flourished in the economic
- The wheel of life keeps rolling at Johnson's bike store
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Bridgetown Framing Gallery
- Wauwatosa's Harwood Hair makes styling about more than hair
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Arte Wine & Painting Studio