Salon Lumoni looks to be premier spot for updos
Owner comes prepped with decade of experience
Nedret Lumani realized a childhood dream earlier this month, parlaying a decade's worth of cosmetology experience into the launch of her own business: Salon Lumani.
The Wauwatosa-based, unisex salon offers hair, makeup and body waxing treatments, plus wedding services that include updo styling - a function that Lumani anticipates will fill a niche market.
"While there's other salons in the area that perform updos, our salon's goal is to specialize in them," said Lumani, whose won numerous national and local awards for her cosmetology skills, most notably taking first place in the Midwest Hair Competition for cuts, color and updos. "Hopefully, we'll establish a reputation in the community as the premier salon for updos, makeup and waxing services that cater to wedding parties."
To drum up business, Lumani set up shop at a well-traveled, high-visibility location on the corner of North Avenue and 124th Street and created a Facebook page. The salon, which takes appointments or walk-in customers, also offers complimentary consultations and is currently running a special discount for first-time clients: $10 off any haircut and $5 off their next haircut, if the appointment is booked on the same day.
Despite the challenges of conducting business in today's economy, Lumani is confident in her startup's future.
"Even before I attended beauty school, family and friends spotted my knack for cosmetology at a young age, so I'm anxious to apply what I've learned to date at my own store," said Lumani, whose résumé includes hair and makeup services for Channel 6, fashion shows and fashion photo shoots for Milwaukee Magazine, as well as salon education at beauty schools. "I've always liked the Wauwatosa area, so it's very exciting to be a part of this business community. I'm confident that word will spread about our services and that consumers will appreciate our upscale, Aveda concept salon."
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (262) 446-6643.
JUST THE FACTS
Business name: Salon Lumani
Address: 2336 N. 124th St., Wauwatosa, WI
Owner: Nedret Lumani
Type of business: Hair Salon
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Therapist suggests making massage priority
- Family's sausage business a hit at farmers markets
- Tosa attorneys come from entrepreneurial families
- Soaps & Scents sniffs out a new opportunity
- Even technophobs can have a better tech experience, owner says
- Platinum Salon relies on intimate, family atmosphere
- Tosa Wine & Spirits staff enjoys its new home
- Move to massage therapy good for the soul, Parlour owner says
- Designing durable landscapes a way of life for Tosa man
- Mobility store says it puts client needs before profit
- Birth center offers health services for whole family
- Standing the test of time
- Duo helps families choose assisted-living care right for them
- Filament shines light on home furnishing needs
- Optometrist's daughter sells children's glasses in Wauwatosa
- Tasting room appeals to wine afficianados, corporate planners
- Hot dog! Business venture helps teen learn value of a dollar
- As threats to trees increase, company prides itself on smart approach
- Former realtor now librarian at Christian Science Reading Room
- Proactive approach to health helps keep need for medicine at bay