The owner of a Wauwatosa restaurant was scammed out of $770 by a caller who said he wanted a large party catered.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
A call came into Kahn Mongolian Barbecue, 725 N. Mayfair Road, at 8:36 p.m. March 12 from a person who identified himself as a telephone operator. He said he was translating a message for a person who had just had throat surgery.
The caller placed a catering order for 130 people and gave a credit card number, authorizing a charge of $1,950, which was greater than the amount owed. The caller asked that $770 be sent by money order to a family member.
After the money was sent, the caller upped the order to food for 250 people and gave the OK to charge more money to the card and send more money to a family member. At that point restaurant owners grew suspicious.
They found out the credit card had been canceled and no one came for the order.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Speakeasy to replace One Way Cafe in Wauwatosa Village
- Business Spotlight: Empire Fish
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why yield when turning right into my own lane?
- Jackson's Blue Ribbon looks to bring duckpin bowling to Wauwatosa
- No serious injuries reported in rollover crash on Highway 45 at Watertown Plank
- Longtime Wauwatosa resident receives Distinguished Citizen Award
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: April 2
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Arpil 2
- Wauwatosa's Barbara Mohr brings cartoon characters to life on Easter eggs
- State Reps. Hutton and Kooyenga hold town hall meetings in Wauwatosa