The owner of a Wauwatosa restaurant was scammed out of $770 by a caller who said he wanted a large party catered.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
A call came into Kahn Mongolian Barbecue, 725 N. Mayfair Road, at 8:36 p.m. March 12 from a person who identified himself as a telephone operator. He said he was translating a message for a person who had just had throat surgery.
The caller placed a catering order for 130 people and gave a credit card number, authorizing a charge of $1,950, which was greater than the amount owed. The caller asked that $770 be sent by money order to a family member.
After the money was sent, the caller upped the order to food for 250 people and gave the OK to charge more money to the card and send more money to a family member. At that point restaurant owners grew suspicious.
They found out the credit card had been canceled and no one came for the order.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Business Spotlight: Face time is the best time for photographer Stephanie Bartz
- Business Notes: Nov. 26
- Wauwatosa unveils convenient, affordable water online water bill payment options
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Nov. 26
- Wauwatosa girl scouts help feed the hungry this Thanksgiving
- Ask Now: Why the fancy drain at Hart Park? (2)
- In Brief: Nov. 26
- Wauwatosa library announces campaign to give students study space
- In our schools
- Wauwatosa school board hears proposals for new course offerings