The owner of a Wauwatosa restaurant was scammed out of $770 by a caller who said he wanted a large party catered.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
A call came into Kahn Mongolian Barbecue, 725 N. Mayfair Road, at 8:36 p.m. March 12 from a person who identified himself as a telephone operator. He said he was translating a message for a person who had just had throat surgery.
The caller placed a catering order for 130 people and gave a credit card number, authorizing a charge of $1,950, which was greater than the amount owed. The caller asked that $770 be sent by money order to a family member.
After the money was sent, the caller upped the order to food for 250 people and gave the OK to charge more money to the card and send more money to a family member. At that point restaurant owners grew suspicious.
They found out the credit card had been canceled and no one came for the order.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa's Lady in Red reopens as Nikki's Boutique after remodel
- 'Tarzan' takes flight at Wauwatosa East
- Tosa Recreation Dept. to hold textile recycling event
- Exactly 175 years ago, Wauwatosa became a town (3)
- Wauwatosa News IQ: April 30
- Milwaukee teens charged for armed robbery in Mayfair bathroom
- Parents raise conflict of interest concerns about Wauwatosa School Board member (19)
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: April 30
- In Our Schools: April 30
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Chiropractor says it's not just about the spine